Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

AFF FAS8080 - Controller Module replacement procedure

Hajee

Hi Team, We received alert for the model AFF- FAS8080 Controller module degraded, Later case opened to register the case to fix the issue.  I just checking here if anyone had experience replacement recetly? As per tech this acitivity will take minimum 3hours to fix the replcement. Looking for your suggestions. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

colsen

Hello,

We had a FAS8060 that we performed a controller replacement on and it certainly didn't take 3hrs.  The 8080 is a bit easier (and less scary) since the two controller modules are physically separated and don't share the chassis for their power-supply redundancy.  

Here's your KB for doing the replacement:  

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1199896

Luckily there's no messing around with disk ownership/etc like in the old days.  The disks will get automatically assigned to the new SN# (i.e. new controller).

Hope that helps.  Give a holler if you have any questions with specifics for the controller-swap.  The previous replacement is still pretty fresh in my memory banks.

Good luck!

Chris

Hajee

Hi Chris, Thanks for the link, I have checked all the pre- checks and steps provided, Its very useful. Also gathered more important details from the link. Well, Once successfully replaced the controller will you posted the duration and findings.

Once again, thanks for your time and support.

AlexDawson

We had a FAS8060 that we performed a controller replacement on and it certainly didn't take 3hrs.  The 8080 is a bit easier (and less scary) since the two controller modules are physically separated and don't share the chassis for their power-supply redundancy.  

For the AFF8080, we sell both a two chassis (AE) and single chassis config (A) - though vast majority are "A" config. 

colsen

Ah so - thanks for the clarification.  Our AFF8080 was an AE (separate enclosures) so I hadn't realized there were combined units.  

I guess I'm just more comfortable with the physically separated controllers.  We have 8040s, 8060s and 3240s, so we've gotten used to the steps you have to take when asked to do a hard-reset on a controller (i.e. you can't just pull the power, have to reseat the motherboard) and/or performing maintenance.  For me it's just nice having them apart so I'm not feeling like I"m one powercord bump (or a single PSU failure) away from taking down both nodes of the HA pair...

Thanks again!

Chris

Hajee

Hi Chris, 

Right, Its physically seperated controllers,  Since its hot swap, we can reduce down time without powercord bump. I have received seperate document with details and bunch of commands to take change. will keep you posted.

Thank you Chris once again.

Hajee

Hi Alex,  Thanks for sharing your experience. Also got some useful information shared by Chris on the below link.

Here's your KB for doing the replacement:  

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1199896

Noted your inputs, will get back to after replacement :).

Thank you! hajee

colsen

Hey - the one other thing I forgot to mention (which may or may not seem obvious) is to make sure all your SAS/network/intercluster/HA cabling is clearly labeled as to controller and destination port.  On our very first headswap operation, I came about 1 second away from just yanking all the cables until I realized that trying to figure out what went where after the fact would at best take a lot of time and at worst break things.

We now make sure we're labeling source/destination ports on almost everything directly on the cable just to make sure we don't have a "whoops" moment like the one I almost caused.

Good luck!

Chris

Hajee

Chris,

Your right, Its very important point that your remind me. Taken note, will lable all the cables as you suggested with source/destination details port wise.

Many thanks for your valuable inputs. .All noted pre/post checks.Most probably will schedule activity on monday evening. will keep you posted Chris.

Public