Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Adding different speed disks

drwoodberry

I have run into an issue when trying to script the addition of new disks into an aggregate when the disks are a different speed. Our environment orginally has 300GB 10K drives. The latest set of drives we have recieved are 300GB 15K drives. Using the generic Add-NaAggr command will not work because disks of different speeds have to be added with a force command and done via a disk list. This is simple from the command line, but I need this to be in a script.  I know it is not best practice to add non-like disks because the fast disk is degraded to the speed of the slower disk, but that is not a concern. Is there a way to get the "-f" switch into the Add-NaAggr command to make this run via a script? This is a high priority for me, so any help would be great. I looked through the commandlet to see if there was a parameter for this, but I did not see one.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

drwoodberry

What are the odds the FilerView functionality can be invoked in the Toolkit. Using the invoke-ssh cmdlet I can use the aggr-add command with the "-f" option to force add disks into the aggregate. The down side is that I have to run the command once for each disk speed. I can not just use the "-f" and say 11 disks of varying speed. Would there be a way to add to the toolkit that would allow this to happen like you can in filerview by checking allow disks of different speeds? I like to add all the disks at once so I do not have to wait two seperate time for the aggregate to grow.

cknight

I just had a look through the FilerView code, fearing it might be using some unpublished API.  But it appears that when adding disks via manual selection, the aggr-add API is called with the force-spare-pool argument.  That is available in Add-NaAggr via the -ForceSparePool switch parameter.  The docs aren't clear that that should work, but it's worth a try.

cknight

The aggr-add API doesn't appear to support the force switch that the CLI offers, so unless specifying the new disks by name using the -Disks attribute of Add-NaAggr works, the next best option would be to send the CLI form using Invoke-NaSsh.

drwoodberry

I can get the disks to add using the -Disks parameter from the API, but it will not allow different speed disks in the same disk list. I am testing now to see if I can create two different disk lists and add them at seperate times to see if it will work. As for the new features in 1.3, I can not add that functionality to the client running the mahcine. Our builds have already been released and cannot be changed. Modifying a script is much easier as we can provide the code in a work around for the end user...who is the marine corp.

thanks for the info. I will post back my results.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public