Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

format-table Issue

thepunisher

I beleive that I am experiancing a known issue with piping data to the format-table function.  When I run the below script it errors out on the format table.  The connect-nacontroller executes and then this error is given on the get-nacifsshare line.  Does anyone have an alternative method for me to execute this and get the data formated as a table?

out-lineoutput : The object of type "Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Internal.Format.FormatStartData" is not valid or not in the  correct sequence. This is likely caused by a user-specified "format-table" command which is conflicting with the default form

atting.

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [out-lineoutput], InvalidOperationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConsoleLineOutputOutOfSequencePacket,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.OutLineOutputCommand

$xmldata = [xml](get-content c:\scripts\data_files\netapps.xml)

$filers = $xmldata.netapps.filer | Where-Object {$_.site -match "mcr" -and $_.nstor -match "n"} | select name

foreach ($a in $filers)
{
     Connect-NaController $a.NAME
     Get-NaCifsShare | select $a.name, mountpoint, sharename | Format-Table
}
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cknight

There is also the issue that the Connect-NaController invocation is writing a controller object to the pipeline, while Get-NaCifsShare is writing share objects to the pipeline.  Format-Table doesn't know how to render a table using two different object types.  Just assign the controller result to a variable to prevent that.  This simple example works for me:

PS C:\> $filers = @("dunn", "benson")

PS C:\> foreach ($a in $filers) { $c = Connect-NaController $a; Get-NaCifsShare | select @{Label="Name";Expression={$c.Name}}, mountpoint, sharename | ft -Auto }

Name MountPoint          ShareName
---- ----------          ---------
dunn /etc                ETC$
dunn /                   C$
dunn /vol/clinton_backup clinton_backup
dunn /vol/vol2           test
dunn /vol/vol2           test2
dunn /vol/vol0/home      HOME
dunn /vol/vol1           share1
dunn /vol/vol2           share2
dunn /vol/ben_test       ben_test
dunn /vol/ben_test2      ben_test2

Name   MountPoint     ShareName
----   ----------     ---------
benson /etc           ETC$
benson /vol/vol0/home HOME
benson /              C$

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

beam

Hi!

Your issue is stemming from the Select-Object command inside the for-loop.  $a.name is not a property of the object returned by Get-NaCifsShare, so Powershell is getting confused.  You can use a script parameter to achieve the result you are looking for:

Get-NaCifsShare | select @{Label="Name";Expression={$a.name}}, mountpoint, sharename | Format-Table

Hope that helps!

-Steven

cknight

There is also the issue that the Connect-NaController invocation is writing a controller object to the pipeline, while Get-NaCifsShare is writing share objects to the pipeline.  Format-Table doesn't know how to render a table using two different object types.  Just assign the controller result to a variable to prevent that.  This simple example works for me:

PS C:\> $filers = @("dunn", "benson")

PS C:\> foreach ($a in $filers) { $c = Connect-NaController $a; Get-NaCifsShare | select @{Label="Name";Expression={$c.Name}}, mountpoint, sharename | ft -Auto }

Name MountPoint          ShareName
---- ----------          ---------
dunn /etc                ETC$
dunn /                   C$
dunn /vol/clinton_backup clinton_backup
dunn /vol/vol2           test
dunn /vol/vol2           test2
dunn /vol/vol0/home      HOME
dunn /vol/vol1           share1
dunn /vol/vol2           share2
dunn /vol/ben_test       ben_test
dunn /vol/ben_test2      ben_test2

Name   MountPoint     ShareName
----   ----------     ---------
benson /etc           ETC$
benson /vol/vol0/home HOME
benson /              C$

View solution in original post

thepunisher

Fantastic!  I thought Connect-NaController was somehow included and that's what the formater was choking on. Thanks for the help.

Here is the final code and a sample of the XML file is attached.  Not a very complicated script but I think the use of XML file and being able to format the data as a table makes this for a starting foundation for more complicated reports.

$xmldata = [xml](get-content c:\scripts\data_files\netapps.xml)
$filers = $xmldata.netapps.filer | Where-Object {$_.site -match "mcr" -and $_.nstor -match "n"} | select name
foreach ($a in $filers)
{
     $c = Connect-NaController $a.NAME
     Get-NaCifsShare | Select-Object @{Label="Name";Expression={$a.name}}, mountpoint, sharename | Format-Table
}
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public