Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Autosupport emails sent to autosupport@netapp.com not getting registered on website

cbaertsch09

Hi

Somehow my Autosupport is not working correctly. I have 3 filers (8.0.2P5), all with autosupport enabled and all exactly same configured except for the options autosupport.from differs. All the external and internal emails are sent during a test. I see it on my email security appliance how the emails are sent outbound even to autosupport@netapp.com. Only one email from one cluster node bound to autosupport@netapp.com gets sent out of my email appliance and never reaches netapp...  

Here are my autosupport options:

autosupport.cifs.verbose     off

autosupport.content          complete   (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.doit             DONT

autosupport.enable           on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.from        filer@address.com (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.local.nht_data.enable off        (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.local.performance_data.enable off        (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.mailhost         10.0.0.75  (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.minimal.subject.id systemid   (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.nht_data.enable  on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.noteto           user@address.com, user2@address.com (value might be ov

autosupport.partner.to                  (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.performance_data.doit DONT

autosupport.performance_data.enable on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.periodic.tx_window 1h         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.retry.count      15         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.retry.interval   4m         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.enable   on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.proxy    ""         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.to       autosupport@netapp.com (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.transport smtp       (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.support.url      support.netapp.com/asupprod/post/1.0/postAsup (value might be overwrit

autosupport.throttle         on         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

autosupport.to               ""         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

On my autosupport homepage I see the filer with system-id but it never received an autosupport.

Does anybody have a clue, what the problem is?

Cheers

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cbaertsch09

Hi John

Thanks for your input. I changed the   options autosupport.support.to    to my private email-address (external). And I received a 1mb email with attachments from my filer. After that I tryed it again with autosupport@netapp.com Trying it with https didn't help either.  All that didnt help a bit.

But what helped, was, I set a recipient for a full message (not only minimal) and sent a Test and my Filer was seen on the NetApp autosupport site (after 20min). Solved the problem!

Cheers

Chris

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

olson

Hi Chris,

I would start by changing the

autosupport.support.transport smtp to https if this is possible in your environment. This will allow you to verify communications. FYI if you send a message

options.autosupport.doit "testing"

If the system is correctly registered to your now account you will receive a automated message back from netapp. If this is not possible I would also closely review the allowed relay host within your smtp servers. Both heads must be allowed to communicate out and send messages to public email addresses. Another common problem we see, relates to the size of the autosupport message. Depending on the mail system 10mb may be the limit. Commonly we see this hit with the weekly performance statistics.  Another testing point would be to set the note to to a external email address. if the note does not get to that account it is very likely a mail server relay restriction.  If you are still unable to get this problem resolved I would highly encourage you to open a case with ngs. We depend on this information to rapidly assist in resolving issues and ensuring your systems health.

John

cbaertsch09

Hi John

Thanks for your input. I changed the   options autosupport.support.to    to my private email-address (external). And I received a 1mb email with attachments from my filer. After that I tryed it again with autosupport@netapp.com Trying it with https didn't help either.  All that didnt help a bit.

But what helped, was, I set a recipient for a full message (not only minimal) and sent a Test and my Filer was seen on the NetApp autosupport site (after 20min). Solved the problem!

Cheers

Chris

andris

BTW, it's possible that HTTPS transport to NetApp didn't work because of "" in this option:

autosupport.support.proxy    ""         (value might be overwritten in takeover)

Are you by any chance using System Manager 2.0R1?  Using it may have erroneously added that "", which Data ONTAP tries to (unsuccessfully) resolve. See Bug 549287.

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=549287

Generally, HTTP/S to NetApp is preferred since you have a more reliable and secure network path (compared with SMTP) and less restrictions on message size.

Public