Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Get-NaPerfData processor value

jeff_spiegel

Maybe someone can help answer this question - when I run this command in powershell:

Get-NaPerfData processor | select -expandproperty counters

I get this value (among others):

Name                                                                                  Value                                                                               
----                                                                                  -----                                                                               
processor_busy                                                                        133031424901

What is the math involved here?  I don't understand that number.  I know the processor busy is around 2-3% - what does that value above represent?

Thanks a lot,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cknight

Hi, Jeff.  Some perf counter values require companion base counter values and must be averaged over two successive readings.

PS C:\> Get-NaPerfCounter processor

BaseCounter    : processor_elapsed_time
Desc           : Percentage of elapsed time that the processor is executing non-idle processes
Labels         :
Name           : processor_busy
PrivilegeLevel : basic
Properties     : percent
Type           :
Unit           : percent

So to get the processor busy percentage, get the values twice with an interval of a few seconds in between.  Then do:

CPU % = (value_t2 - value_t1) / (base_t2 - base_t1) * 100

See 'Get-Help Get-NaPerfObject' for more details on working with the Data ONTAP performance APIs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

cknight

Hi, Jeff.  Some perf counter values require companion base counter values and must be averaged over two successive readings.

PS C:\> Get-NaPerfCounter processor

BaseCounter    : processor_elapsed_time
Desc           : Percentage of elapsed time that the processor is executing non-idle processes
Labels         :
Name           : processor_busy
PrivilegeLevel : basic
Properties     : percent
Type           :
Unit           : percent

So to get the processor busy percentage, get the values twice with an interval of a few seconds in between.  Then do:

CPU % = (value_t2 - value_t1) / (base_t2 - base_t1) * 100

See 'Get-Help Get-NaPerfObject' for more details on working with the Data ONTAP performance APIs.

View solution in original post

jeff_spiegel

Got it.  Thank you very much!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public