The community will be undergoing maintenance soon, requiring Read-Only mode. Click to learn more.

Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

How do I present a LUN to a Hyper-V Virtual Machine?

kikoplavdd

I'm running a 2008 R2 Hyper-V cluster (5 nodes) using cluster-shared volumes on FAS2040 using iSCSI.  I currently have a VM that I'm preparing to use as a SQL server and trying to follow NetApp's recommendation of putting the system DBs and user DBs on separate LUNs. In SnapDrive, I've created a new disk/LUN on a separate volume and attached it as a resource for that VM, however, it does not add the new disk to the VM but to the VM's host server. What am I doing wrong? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

venkat3

hi kikoplavdd

I am not sure if i got the question right.

I think you wanted to add a pass through lun to a Hyper-V VM residing in CSV Volumes.

is that correct?

In general on a hyperv-vm (residing on disk) we can add Lun using host initiator.

Please check if you have set hyperv_config so that u can see hostinitiator in while

Please check admin guide "Snapdrive 6.3 for windows . Installation and Administration Guide" refer page 40 and 41

thanks

sr

kikoplavdd

Thanks - I am going to give your suggestion a try! If I am able to setup the virtual networks in the VM to see the networks in my host, is it possible to install SnapDrive within the VM to create new LUN/disks from within the VM itself?

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public