Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

How to install SnapManager for Hyper-V PowerShell Snap-In

hugh_kelley

I started running the setup program, expecting it would ask me for full install vs just management tools.   Instead, it asked me for web service credentials.

Is there another way?

3 REPLIES 3

jausch

Because of the way SMHV is architected, you need to install the web service in order to use SMHV. 

You can use the Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit as a stand-alone install without SMHV if that is what you want to do.

Alex

hugh_kelley

Thanks.  I'm already DataONTAP as well, but am trying to get VM-level info about snapshots.  I assume that isn't exposed via DataONTAP.

Where should I read more about this architecture?  May I use some benign local account like NETWORK SERVICE?   What permissions must the account have back on the cluster itself?

jausch

You need to be local admin.

Normal best practice is to create a specific AD service account.  We also recommend installing SMHV on all of the Cluster nodes.  This implies that the account should be local admin on all the nodes.  We need to have local admin for a couple of reasons.  One is that you cannot modify VDS settings unless you are a local admin.

You may want to consult TR-3701 and TR-3702 for more information about Hyper-V best practices and SMHV best practices.

Alex

Public