Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Hyper-V DR and Symbolic Links

rgraves2572

We previously have used Symbolic Links and NetApp SnapMirror to add Virtual Machines to our Windows 2008 Hyper-V cluster at our DR location. A very strait forward process as long as Hyper-V snapshots are not used.

We are currently working with a new Windows 2008 R2 cluster and using Cluster Shared Volumes. However, we receive the following error when trying to use symbolic links for Virtual Machines hosted on replicated CSVs.

Cannot load a virtual machine configuration: General access denied error (0x80070005)

There may be a better way to import virtual machines to our DR cluster.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

4 REPLIES 4

vkarinta

I am not sure what do you mean by using symbolic links for the VMs? Can you please explain it.

As an alternate solution with SnapManager for Hyper-V [SMHV 1.0P1] we released the DR support for the Hyper-V VMs from the backup taken on the primary.

Currently SMHV 1.0P1 has all the capabilities to perform the DR using a powershell script for clustered[CSV] and stand-alone VMs.

If you are interested i can hook you up with the TMEs who can provide more details about this solution.

Thanks,

Vineeth

rgraves2572

We use the mlink command to create a Symbolic Link of an exisiting Hyper-V virtual machine configuration file. This allows us to add a virtual machine to a different Hyper-V host without using the import/export features of the Hyper-V management console. The symbolic link is a one time configuration and SnapMirror keeps the VHD's and virtual machines configuration up to date at the DR location.

If snapshots are used then you will have create symbolic links for those snapshot. We generally do not use snapshots on Hyper-V hosts to avoid the complications have to link those in DR.

We do have a license for SMHV and I have the latest verison installed on our new Windows 2008 R2 cluster. However, I'm unfamilar with how the DR scripts work and it is difficult to find anyone with knowledge of actual implementations.

-Robert

amritad

Hi

Plesae download SMHV 1.0P1 from here

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/snapmanager_hyperv_win/1.0P1/

This contains our DR functionality

Regards

Amrita

ademuynck

Currently SMHV 1.0P1 has all the capabilities to perform the DR using a powershell script for clustered[CSV] and stand-alone VMs.

If you are interested i can hook you up with the TMEs who can provide more details about this solution.

It's interessting me. Can you give me more information about this functionnality ?

Thanks a lot.

Public