Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 4.2 released!

kodavali
Dear PowerShell community,

We are pleased to announce the availability of NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 4.2

The NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 4.2 unifies all of NetApp’s PowerShell modules into a single package; The unified toolkit provides end-to-end automation and storage management across NetApp’s storage platforms of your datacenter and Hybrid Cloud – spanning 7-mode and clustered Data ONTAP running on FAS or AFF in your datacenter, ONTAP Select running on commodity hardware and ONTAP Cloud instances running on the public cloud. This release provides complete API coverage to ONTAP 9.0 and is backward compatible with previous ONTAP releases as well. NetApp PowerShell Toolkit 4.2 is compatible with Microsoft Windows Server 2016.

Please download the new PowerShell ToolKit from here.

8 REPLIES 8

JohnChampion

I see the cmdlet "new-NcCluster" which is GREAT - but the get-help is a bit thin 😉  

No examples, no description - params are a base license key and node count (?). It also accepts a -Controller <NcController[]> object but if its a NEW cluster what exactly is being provided here?  

Could really use some usage guidelines on this one.

Aparajita

Hi John,

Sorry about the lack of documentation - I'll raise a bug report for that. I could swear I wrote a help file for this, but apparently not.

To help you out right now - the New-NcCluster is equivalent to the 'cluster create' command on the CLI and cluster-create zapi. It starts the process to create a cluster using the node you're currently connected to.

The Base License param of course takes the cluster base license.

The NodeCount parameter is used to discover and add nodes to a new cluster. You can specify maximum how many discovered nodes (which are not already a part of any cluster) should be added.

Get-NcClusterCreateProgress can be used to track the status of the operation.

Add-NcClusterNode can be used to discover and join more nodes to this cluster later.

The "-NcController" is a common field for all cmdlets. To answer how it would be useful - suppose you've 4 newly provisioned nodes in the network and want to create two 2-node clusters out of it. The steps you could do is

1. `Connect-NcController $node -Add` for each of your nodes. This stores all the nodes in PowerShell session memory (and any cmdlet you execute will by default be executed on all 4 nodes/controllers)
  2. `New-NcCluster -BaseLicense <> -NcController $node1,$node3` - this ensures a cluster-create operation is initiated only on the first and third node. If you didn't provide the NcController option, the cmdlet would be iterated over all currently connected nodes.
  3. Run Add-NcCluster on $node2 and $node4 to finish the cluster creation.

Hope this helps,

Aparajita

ronaldmajor

Do you mean the -Controller option rather than -NcController?

markweber

does "compatible with Microsoft Windows Server 2016" mean Nano too?

Bill_P

I have installed this on a Win 8.1 PC but I do not see the VSCAN cmdlets.  Is there a problem with these showing up or did I install this incorrectly?

Thanks,

Bill

asulliva

Hi Bill,

Please check with version of the Data ONTAP module which is being imported by your PowerShell session:

Import-Module DataONTAP

Get-Module DataONTAP

Also, do you get any values returned when checking the cmdlets included in the module?

Get-Command -Module DataONTAP | ?{ $_.Name -match 'vscan' }

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Bill_P

When I did the

Get-Command -Module DataONTAP | ?{ $_.Name -match 'vscan' }

I got a list of cmdlets, then realized it was running as Administrator.  I then ran it without the RunAs and it does not show any.  Must have installed while as Administrator.

How can I get these to show while not running as Administrator?

Thanks,

asulliva

Check the value of "$env:PSModulePath" for both users.  It should include "C:\Program Files (x86)\NetApp\NetApp PowerShell Toolkit\Modules\".  If not, follow these directions to add a path to that variable.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public