Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Questions regarding configuration of mirroring and SNAP Mirror over a Metro Ethernet.

LEWIS_TIMOTHYE

I am looking at moving a customer to a new data center.  In the process we are going to retain their current NetApp storage for both locations.  I ask that you forgive me as I don't know models etc. really.  First of all, the "intended" design was to have a dual controller NetApp FAS2040 (I think) connected to a storage chassis with several 15k SAS drives.  There are two volumes at 2 TB each.  The idea was to have the storage being served up to XenServer by either controller and for the two 2 TB volumes to mirror each other.  Additionally, there is a third FAS2040 with SATA drives that was intended to be a SNAP mirror.

In actuality each controller is serving a 2 TB volume to XenServer and the SNAP mirror is broken.

What I would like to do, is fix the mirror.  So we have two 2 TB volumes mirroring each other and being served as one 2 TB volume by either controller.  These will reside at a co-location with our XenServers.  Then use the corporate offices as a DR location.  Here I will have the SATA unit acting as a SNAP mirror with a couple more XenServers.  In this case, if there were a disaster at the colo we could spin up the VMs at the DR site.

Is it doable with NetApp what I am asking in terms of mirroring two 2 TB volumes into one volume presented to the hypervisor?  Can the volume be served by two controllers?  And can SNAP Mirror run over a Metro-Ethernet connection of 100Mbps?

1 REPLY 1

LEWIS_TIMOTHYE

Anyone?

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public