Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Risk Resolver - Certificate Renew/Recreate

mcgue

Current Version:  1.5

Clustered Data ONTAP (also known as ONTAP) uses self-signed certificates by default for management
of the environment. These certificates have a typical expiration date of 1 year (365 days).
This KB describes the process to recreate the certificates:

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/How_to_renew_an_SSL_certificate_in_ONTAP_9

This script handles the steps outlined in the article by doing the following:

• Connecting to a cluster
  • Collecting all existing certificates
  • Ensuring the certificate is self-signed
  • Deletes the self-signed certificate
  • Creates a new certificate with the same properties as the previous one with a 10 year expiration
  • Configures SSL on the SVM to use the new certificate

Article link updated by Admin on Sept 29, 2020.

24 REPLIES 24

mcgue

Updated to 1.1 with some additional prompts prior to recreating certificates.

mcgue

Updated version to 1.2 to resolve issue with ONTAP 9 and enahancing the checks for self-signed certificates. 

EHooper

Hi

Trying to test this at the moment but i getting the following error on the following lines -

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
At line:302 char:9
+         $GetCertificateResults = $GetCertificateResults.ToString()

and

At line:304 char:13
+         If ($GetCertificateResults.contains($SerialNumber)) {

Do you have any ideas ?

Thanks

===============

===============

===============

Edit Ignore This - redownloaded the file and the formatting was fixed.

mcgue

Sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier.  I saw your edit - are you OK now? 

mwt

Getting the same errors as EHooper, unfortunately a redownload didn't correct the issue for me. Any ideas on what could be causing the errors?

At C:\Users\REDACTED\Downloads\RiskResolverCertificate.ps1:308 char:9
+         $GetCertificateResults = $GetCertificateResults.ToString()
+         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

At C:\Users\REDACTED\Downloads\RiskResolverCertificate.ps1:310 char:13
+         If ($GetCertificateResults.contains($SerialNumber)) {
+             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

mcgue

That set of results are achieved from an "Invoke-NcSsh" cmdlet.  Starting in the most recent versions of the NetApp PowerShell Toolkit, Putty version 0.70 is required to run SSH commands.  It isn't exactly clear in the installer, but talks about it in the FAQ.  Can you install that verison of Putty and ensure it is in your path and then attempt the script again?  

mwt

Mcgue,

Thank you for the reply. Putty 0.70 is installed on my system and I am still encountering the same error. You mentioned that I should ensure that Putty is installed in my path. Is there a specific location that I am supposed to install putty?

mcgue

@mwt

Two thinigs.  First to make sure putty is working correctly you can see your PATH statement with the "set" command from the command prompt.  You can also execute "putty.exe" from any directory you are CD'ed into and it should launch.

The other thing is look at EHooper's post about issues with copying the script out from a download.  We can only attach txt files so the way you download or copy might have formatting issues when saved as a .ps1.

mwt

EHooper

Hi

You get this error if you open the text file first then then copy it into powershell or ISE. The reason for this is the the line that is below

"#sleep between invoke SSH runs to ensure ONTAP is ready"

is all bunched up into one line and then the varible will be null because it wont run. When you open the file in ISE originally you will see it like this

Line 1 #Only return if shows as self-signed, had to reduce fields for ONTAP to return successfully

Line 2 #$GetCertificateCommand = "security certificate show -common-name $CommonName -serial $SerialNumber -ca $CertificateAuthority -type  $Type -size $Size -start $StartDateDT -expiration $ExpirationDateDT -public-cert $PublicCertificate -country $Country -state $State -locality $Locality -organization $Organization -unit $OrganizationUnit -email-addr $EmailAddress -protocol $Protocol -hash-function $HashFunction -self-signed true"       

Line 3 - $GetCertificateCommand = "security certificate show -common-name $CommonName -serial $SerialNumber -ca $CertificateAuthority -type  $Type -protocol $Protocol -hash-function $HashFunction -self-signed true"

Line - 4 $GetCertificateResults = Invoke-NcSsh $GetCertificateCommand

Line - 5 $GetCertificateResults = $GetCertificateResults.ToString()

EHooper

Also MCGUE

i noticed that there was an error on the following line in your original script -

#The script will now check if the current cerificate is node specific
            If (($NumberOfNodes -ne 1 -and $Nodes -contains $Vserver) -or ($NumberOfNodes -eq 1 -and $Nodes.Node -eq $Vserver)) {

I had to change it to

#The script will now check if the current cerificate is node specific
            If (($NumberOfNodes -ne 1 -and $Nodes.node -contains $Vserver) -or ($NumberOfNodes -eq 1 -and $Nodes.Node -eq $Vserver)) {

If the .node isnt added it wont pick up the node names when you have multiple nodes. I tested both ways and .nodes wwas the only one that made it work.

mcgue

@EHooper

Your note about the command line, are you using version 1.3 of the script?  That is what should be attached here and that line is different in this version (including the difference you noted with the node parameter).

thomasb82

please ignore this reply, sorry.

mcgue

@EHooper

Thanks for digging into that!  That's one of the challenges here is that the community site won't allow .ps1 attachments so it has to be text.  Great work - thanks again.

thomasb82

Excellent work, thank you!

EthanQ

When downloading, just do a "save-as" and change the extension to .ps1 or download with the default name and then change the extension to .ps1.

That way the formatting doesn't get messed up.

Not sure why anybody would even be opening it as a regular text file to copy out the contents to a new file. That is quite pointless and unnessesary.

mcgue

Updated to version 1.4.  Got rid of any need for the Invoke-NcSsh cmdlet and accounted for the new server-ca types added in by default in ONTAP 9.3+.

thomasb82

Thank you so much for creating this script and keeping it up to date!!

Would it be possible to use credentials from the current session?

We have setup AD authentication on all NetApps and it would be convenient to not get prompted for the admin credentials for each system.

Thank you!

mcgue

I'm glad it is working well for you.  I wish there was a way to pass AD credentials, but so far it doesn't look like there is a way in PS or the toolkit to do that.

mcgue

Updated to version 1.5 with these changes:

1.5 - Set toolkit import just to import and not check for version (due to new versioning of current releases)
      Added option to check certificates that expire X number of days in the future
      Added a check if there are multiple certificates in the same SVM not to continue if they are of the same common name
      Added more inline comments

Public