Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Set-NaVolOption Option Names

ITINFRASTRUCTURETEAM

I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to set the space guarantee option using the set-navoloption cmdlet because get-navoloption returns names like actual_guarantee and effective_guarantee, but there is no indication that the correct name to use with set-navoloption is, in fact, just "guarantee". I discovered this secret option name by finding a forum post from someone else using this exact command. Am I missing something when it comes to determining the correct option names to use with set-navoloption? I've scoured the help documentation and came up with nothing. Just want to be able to avoid this delay in the future, should I find myself in a similar scenario.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bsti

Most of the options coincide directly with the output from Get-NaVolOptions.  That one was tricky.   To set volume guarantee, try:

Set-NaVolOption -Name myvol -key guarantee -value none  #  Or volume, or file

In this case, I ran vol options from the CLI and observed the option names there.  I think the actual and effective guarantees are computed values based on guarantee and other values. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

bsti

Most of the options coincide directly with the output from Get-NaVolOptions.  That one was tricky.   To set volume guarantee, try:

Set-NaVolOption -Name myvol -key guarantee -value none  #  Or volume, or file

In this case, I ran vol options from the CLI and observed the option names there.  I think the actual and effective guarantees are computed values based on guarantee and other values. 

View solution in original post

ITINFRASTRUCTURETEAM

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep that in my back pocket should I encountered things like this in the future.

vinith

Did you try extracting the detailed help fro the cmdlet?

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Help Set-NaVolOption -Detailed

Absolutely, but the only option it lists is "spacereserve," but using that option name fails miserably, as seen below.

PS C:\Windows\system32>>> Set-NaVolOption $vols[0] spacereserve none

Set-NaVolOption : Invalid 'option-name': spacereserve

At line:1 char:16

+ Set-NaVolOption <<<<  $vols[0] spacereserve none

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (ssc-na1b:NaController) [Set-NaVolOption], EONTAPI_E

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ApiException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Volume.SetNaVolOption

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public