Network and Storage Protocols

Enabling NDMP breaks CIFS backups

monstermunch

Hi all,

I've been using Backup Exec to backup data from CIFS shares from our FAS2040 for a few years with no problems.

I enabled NDMP on the filer the other day to allow me to monitor snapmirror relationships with the Disaster Recovery module in DFM.  Since doing that, Backup Exec cannot connect to the CIFS shares to perform backups.

Browsing CIFS shares is fine, only the backup jobs fail.  If I disable NDMP on the filer, the backups work again.  We do not have the NDMP option in Backup Exec and I don't want it.  The tape drive is connected directly to the backup server and is used for other jobs as well and I just want to continue to backup the FAS across the network from the shares.

With NDMP enabled:

• If I use the ndmp user I setup for DFM for the backup job, I get the error "A network connection could not be established" in Backup Exec.
  • If I use the domain account, I get an "Access Denied" error in Backup Exec.
  • DFM Snapmirror monitoring is OK.

With NDMP disabled:

• If I use the ndmp user I setup for DFM for the backup job, I get an "Access Denied" error in Backup Exec.
  • If I use the usual domain account, backups work fine.
  • DFM Snapmirror monitoring does not work for obvious reasons.

It seems that Backup Exec is trying to use NDMP even when it shouldn't be.  I can't see any options in Backup Exec to stop thjis from happening and have spent all morning searching through the (quite frustrating) Symantec support site with no luck.

I realise this is more a Backup Exec problem but is there anything anyone can think of that may help me get round this?  At the moment my choices are either have NDMP enabled and monitor snapmirror in DFM or have NDMP disabled and have tape backup.

I have tried enabling NDMP but restricting access to only the DFM server but that didn't help.

Suggestions gratefully received...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wes_beckum

Try changing the port that BE is using. I ran into this a few years back and had issues with DFM NDMP and BE NDMP being on the same port, which is 10,000 by default.

Wes

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

wes_beckum

Try changing the port that BE is using. I ran into this a few years back and had issues with DFM NDMP and BE NDMP being on the same port, which is 10,000 by default.

Wes

monstermunch

Hi Wes,

That sounds like a sensible suggestion.  I will have a look and see...

Many thanks for your reply.

monstermunch

Yep, that was it.  Thanks Wes, good call!

I changed it to 9000 and all is well.

wes_beckum

Awesome! Glad you got it worked out. Have a great weekend!

Wes

ejdurgin1

What proceedure did you use to change the NDMP port on your filer to 9000?

EJD

Public