Network and Storage Protocols

Multiple Cifs shares on the Same Volume

leke_rodipe

Hi All,

I am very new with Netapp but I seems to have this issue. I am trying to create more than one cifs on the same volume and when I create a file in one of the CIFS share, it is copied over to the other CIFS share on the same volume. Is it that it is not possible to create more than one CIFS share on the same volume or there is something I am doing wrong here.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

RICCO4400

Hi

Yes of course it's possible to create more than one share per volume or qtree

Can you post result of command: cifs shares?

Regards

leke_rodipe

RICCO4400

It's strange, you have a share AssetStore-DC1  pointing to volume vol_UATBusinessApps

and also administrative share ETC$ pointing same volume

You are using vfiler, it seems you created you vfiler without boot volume

I would recommend when creating vfiler to create a very small volume a few MB , this volume will store some configuration file for our vfiler

add this "boot" volume to vfiler and after add you "data" volume (vol_UATBussinessApps)

leke_rodipe

Hi,

I am still very new with Data Ontap. I created vfiler quite alight  but ETC$ and C$ were created by default.

"I would recommend when creating vfiler to create a very small volume a few MB , this volume will store some configuration file for our vfiler

add this "boot" volume to vfiler and after add you "data" volume (vol_UATBussinessApps)" - Can you direct me to have to do this.

All I did was to run the command - vfiler create vfiler_name

RICCO4400

here an exemple

vfiler create vFilerTEST -i 192.168.1.1 /vol/vfilerBOOT /vol/vfilerDATA

answer to setup question

you need to create the 2 volumes first

vfilerBOOT= 20MB for storing vfiler configuration files -it's better to have them separate

vfilerDATA =size you want

Using command vfiler status -r you will see

vFilerTEST  running

ipspace: ....

IP address:.....

Path: /vol/vfilerBOOT [/etc]

Patch: /vol/vfilerDATA

paulstringfellow

It is…

But if you change a file in a folder that is presented by a share, then that change is reflected in all shares that present that same folder…

But yes you can present multiple shares from the same volume

leke_rodipe

Thats does not sound nice though. I mean the reason I created two different cifs shares in the same volume is to independently manage and share files without files in one share affecting the shares in another cifs share. But changing the files on cifs shares affect the files in another cifs shares in the same volume.

aborzenkov

Then create two shares that point to two different directories on a volume. Or to two different volumes. I’m still not sure I understand the problem.

paulstringfellow

If you are doing what you are suggesting then you this is not a NetApp issue, but one to do with how you are using the shares, if you create two shares for example

Basically the share is only providing an access point into a directory and its subdirectories, if you create multiple shares that show the same subdirectories, then any change will be reflected in all shares. Shares are not a logical separation for file access all they are is an access point to your data directories, so for example

On a windows server you have Drive D, this drive has the following layout

D:\

D:\A

D:\B

D:\C\sub

If you then create a share that is the root of D, so share 1, when you connect to share 1 you see the following

D:\

D:\A

D:\B

D:\C\sub

If you then create a share of d:\C then when you enter that share you see the contents of directory C including its subdirectory sub.

So if you change a file in the subdirectory sub, it will be reflected in both share 1 and share 2 as in the end the file you are changing is in d:\c\sub this can then be accessed by two different shares and the changes are reflected in both.

Sorry if that seems like I’m over simplifying and you know that already, as I may of missed the point of your question.

Hope that helps.

Paul.

leke_rodipe

Hi paulstringfellow,

Thanks for your explanation. You are absolutely right.

VKALVEMULA

create multiple qtrees and create each share on different qtrees so that you can control the size of the share as well as the permissions stuff also.

Public