Network and Storage Protocols

Snapdrive Help!!

david_wallis

Ok, it looks like i've dropped a bo11ock!

I had downtime scheduled to extend a lun.. here lies the problem..

I've extended the volume fine..

When I went to expand the disk I ran into problems...

I have a 'different' icon on one of the disks as shown in img1  when I right click I get no extend option..

do you think this is because this lun wasnt created with snapdrive (Im assuming it wasnt)

So my question is really.. what are my options... would upgrading snapdrive to the latest version allow me to manage luns that werent created with snapdrive??

or is my only real option to disconnect the disk and try either reconnecting it or connect it to a server running the latest version of snap drive?

Also I have another server that just doesnt show any disks under 'disks' in snapdrive which is more the behaviour I would expect if they werent created in snapdrive... any suggestions on this one? Upgrade again I guess???

David

12 REPLIES 12

radek_kubka

OK, I actually don't know why this icon appears (anyone?), but if you need to grow that disk urgently why not use diskpart instead?

Regards,
Radek

david_wallis

I would but the space isn’t showing as being available.. presumably as I need to extend the LUN too.

David Wallis

Senior Systems & Network Engineer

Callcredit Information Group

One Park Lane

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS3 1EP

United Kingdom

Tel : +44 (0) 113 388 4300 Fax : +44 (0) 113 388 4308

Mobile: +44 (0) 773 300 7886

Email: David.Wallis@callcreditgroup.com

Web: http://www.callcreditgroup.com/

radek_kubka

Yes, you defintitely need to expand the LUN on the storage side first!

kris_boeckx

Hi,

The first lun is your boot lun or the pagefile is located on this lun. Boot luns and lun's where page file resides can't be expanded online.

If this is your boot lun, you need to shutdown your system and mount this lun to an other system, expand the lun and mount it back on the original system.

If this is your pagefile lun, you can do the same of move the pagefile to an other disk and do the expand.

Greetings,

Boeckx Kris

Pidpa

radek_kubka

The first lun is your boot lun or the pagefile is located on this lun.

Hmm, it crossed my mind before I looked at the picture. Yet when I looked at it drive H doesn't sound like a good candidate for a boot partition...

Also keeping a page file there would be a bit exotic (although possible).

Regards,
Radek

david_wallis

That could well be it.. I seem to remember someone mentioning it had been misconfigured.

David Wallis

One Park Lane

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS3 1EP

United Kingdom

david_wallis

It is not the boot lun as the server isn’t SAN booting.. It boots of c:

David Wallis

One Park Lane

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS3 1EP

United Kingdom

nagendrk

Did you try this part in the IAG "Preparing LUNs not created in SnapDrive

for SnapDrive

management" - http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/snapdrive/relsnap61/html/software/admin/GUID-577DCC21-59DE-42D2-9EE0-877CE55F82A4.html

martin_fisher

Hi,

From the original post and attached screen shot, I'm guessing your using Snap Drive 4.1.

You were unable to expand the LUN mentioned as it is a SAN Boot Disk LUN. This is what the small 's' signifies on the LUN icon.

This LUN will locked for obvious reasons. Is there a specific reason is its connected to a Windows host, which boots from its own local disk.

A copy of the icon is also attached to the post.

Hope this Helps.

Martin

chriskranz

I've seen this before when SnapDrive recognises a disk wrongly as a SAN boot disk. Try restarting the SnapDrive service, but as an extreme you may need to reboot the server to get this back as a normal LUN.

david_wallis

I suspect as someone mentioned it's probably because some clever (NOT) person stuck the pagefile on a SAN disk.. Rather than add some more internal disks.

I just need to work out why my other box is showing no disks at all!

David

David Wallis

One Park Lane

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS3 1EP

United Kingdom

BrendonHiggins

I have had the problem with the little '5' in Snapdrive many times and have found that a reboot will solve the issue on my Windows hosts.

As to the lun extend problem.  Have the lun been extended to 10x its orginal size?  There is a SCSI limit which means this is the max size for a lun but you should get an error message.

Bren

Public