Network and Storage Protocols

Unable to create forlder from windows explorer to SAN / NAS netapp.

palaurent

We have a FAS3220 netapp Baie.

I created a Volume : a_datauser1

a_datauser1 online          raid_dp, flex         nosnap=on, no_atime_update=on, create_ucode=on,
                                64-bit                convert_ucode=on, snaplock_enterprise,
                                                      no_i2p=on, fractional_reserve=0

On it i created qtree :

a_datauser1 data1    ntfs  enabled  normal

I share this QTREE :

DATAUSER1    /vol/a_datauser1/data1
                        everyone / Full Control

NTFS access right are full control for my windows user.

From a Windows workstation ( 2003 / seven / ... ), i connect to this share : \\sea4\datauser1

The problem is :

From windows explorer, if i create manually a folder on this network connection, I have this windows error message :

Error renaming File or folder.

Cannot rename new folder : Access it denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

If I press ESC, a folder is created : New Folder

but I am not able to rename it.

So : I am unable to create a folder

From a command prompt / DOS, no problem :

I access to the network connection,

mkdir test

IT works !!!

If un CUT / PASTER a folder / sub directory from C: to this network connection,

it works !!!

So ? On a NAS Netapp, troubles with windows explorer ? Unable to create a basic FOLDER ?

test-netapp.JPG

Thanks for any ideas about this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ttran

Hello Palaurent,

As mentioned in the thread, you cannot modify folder names in a SnapLock Compliant volume and Windows Explorer my default names a newly created folder as "New Folder(#)". You must first create the folder with the desired name in a non-SnapLock compliant volume and then copy the folder to the SnapLock Compliant volume or you can use the Command Line to create the volume with the desired name. This is working as designed per strict SnapLock  "Write Once Read Many" regulation. Also, keep in mind that EMPTY folders CAN be deleted as the only exception allowed to clean-up the "New Folder" issue with Windows Explorer. 

More explanation is in section 5.3 on page 21 of the TR-4526: Compliant WORM Storage Using NetApp SnapLock 

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

hariprak

Hi,

You can refer the below links,

https://kb.netapp.com/index?page=content&id=1012773&actp=LIST_POPULAR

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1012304

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

palaurent

Ok Thanks, many usefull links Smiley Wink

I am going to check, if an article describe my problem.

jgebhart2

I also am suffering from this behavior.

You may have already found this out (since it's now years later) but others may have this issue and the KB links provided are not helpful for this particular issue.

The issue here is that this is a SnapLock volume. Whether it's Enterprise or Compliance mode makes no difference. Paths/directories/folders in a SnapLock volume are immutable.

You are running into this issue because the default behavior of Windows Explorer when creating a new folder is to create a folder called "New folder" and immediatley prompt you to rename it, which you cannot do due to the path/directory/folder being immutable.

I am currently waiting for a response from NetApp to see whether there is a way to change this from the NetApp side as I don't believe it's a viable option to "train" users to create folders from PowerShell or a command prompt.

jgebhart2

For anyone else experiencing this problem - this was changed in ONTAP 9.3P4. The ability to rename folders which do not yet have locked files in them now exists.

Fabian1993

Hi Guys,

i have the same issue, we can't create a folder under a Snaplock Enterprise Volume. In 7-Mode it was possible after the migration it doesn't worked..

SnapLock Type: enterprise
     Minimum Retention Period: 20 years
     Default Retention Period: min
     Maximum Retention Period: 30 years
            Autocommit Period: 2 hours
Is Volume Append Mode Enabled: false
            Privileged Delete: -
             Litigation Count: 0
 Is SnapLock Audit Log Volume: false

ttran

Hello Palaurent,

As mentioned in the thread, you cannot modify folder names in a SnapLock Compliant volume and Windows Explorer my default names a newly created folder as "New Folder(#)". You must first create the folder with the desired name in a non-SnapLock compliant volume and then copy the folder to the SnapLock Compliant volume or you can use the Command Line to create the volume with the desired name. This is working as designed per strict SnapLock  "Write Once Read Many" regulation. Also, keep in mind that EMPTY folders CAN be deleted as the only exception allowed to clean-up the "New Folder" issue with Windows Explorer. 

More explanation is in section 5.3 on page 21 of the TR-4526: Compliant WORM Storage Using NetApp SnapLock 

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp
Public