ONTAP Discussions

Add nodes in unhealth cluster

ANTONIO_SANTOS

Hi guys,

I have a switched cluster ONTAP with a pair of FAS8080, but a node is in takeover and i can´t do giveback because IC is down. The ONTAP version is 9.1P13.

I can´t restart all environment to try reestablish the normal operations.

So, I have another pair of FAS8080 and i want to add them to this cluster. After this operation i will can move volumes to this new pair of 8080 and decomiss the old.

The question is: can i add other pair of FAS8080 to this cluster in takeover state?

Accord https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.dot-cm-sag/GUID-B13FF812-785E-4E62-9914-30E7A8F51A4C.html i need to have more then half of cluster nodes up to do this. 

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mjizzini

In a rare situation due to a PCI panic from the NVRAM card, this can trigger the NVRAM card on the takeover node to go into a hung state, disabling the interconnect.

Unable to giveback after motherboard replaced on FAS62xx/FAS80xx due to no disks attached

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

SpindleNinja

ANTONIO_SANTOS

Thank you @SpindleNinja for you response, but this controller is expired support. For this I put this question on community.

This FAS8080 will be replaced by a FAS8300 but the arrive of this new controller will take around 2 months.

SpindleNinja

Got ya.    

IC?   Do you mean the Clusternet?  What caused it to go down. 

I would also raise this question with your account team and see what they can do. 

ANTONIO_SANTOS

@SpindleNinja yes the IC is down and i don´t know the root cause.

I replaced the MB, IOXM, IC cable and chassi but the IC remains down.

When I say IC it's about the HA function.

Yes, i will contact the account team.

Thank you!

SpindleNinja

Ah got ya.    I would for sure engage with support for that. 

Mjizzini

In a rare situation due to a PCI panic from the NVRAM card, this can trigger the NVRAM card on the takeover node to go into a hung state, disabling the interconnect.

Unable to giveback after motherboard replaced on FAS62xx/FAS80xx due to no disks attached

paul_stejskal

You could just SnapMirror the volumes to the other 8080s. Not as seamless, but it would work.

ANTONIO_SANTOS

Hi @paul_stejskal 

I have already thought about this possibility and will use it if we are unable to proceed with the insertion of new nodes into the existing cluster.

Thanks for the tip!

ANTONIO_SANTOS

Hi @Mjizzini this link clarified my vision, because the only two itens not replaced were NVRAM and DIMM.

I will replace the NVRAM to check if IC will become online again.

Thank you!

ANTONIO_SANTOS

Hi @Mjizzini today I replaced the NVRAM but the IC remains down.

I´m preparing the lab to simulate insert a pair of FAS in a cluster unhealthy. If the procedure doesn´t work i will create a new cluster  to receive snapmirrors from production storage.

Anyway, I appreciate your attention.

SpindleNinja

How'd this go?  I am thinking it would error.   

Public