Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

ONTAP Discussions

Are Snapmirror Destinations always thick?

netrz

Hi,

i created a thin 3 TB volume on Snapmirror Source. There is no data in this volume so "aggr show" did not show decreasing available space.

Then I replicated this volume to Snapmirror Destination Filer (both cDot 8.3.1p1). Available aggr space on destination filer decreased there about 3 TB. "volume show-footprint" shows 3 TB at parameter "Volume guarantee". If I increase the volmes size at source filer this parameter automatically increases too and aggregates space is decreasing.

Is this normal? Are Snapmirror Destination Volumes always thick or can i make them thin somehow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Just set space gurantee and fractional reserve on destination using "volume modify".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

netrz

I set space guarantee to none. This reduced aggregate usage. I did not change fractional reserve, since we are not using LUNs there and I think frctionla reserve is mainly related to LUNs.

aborzenkov

Just set space gurantee and fractional reserve on destination using "volume modify".

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public