ONTAP Discussions

CDOT 8.3 Mirror & Vault retention problems

chris_hague

We are trying to configure a mirror & vault policy which will allow us to keep 48 x hourly snaps at source, but then keep 31 daily & 7 years of weekly snaps at destination (ideally this would be monthly)

The issue we has is that you have to set a snapmirror-label at the source for the retention to work at the destination.

So, if I create a "Weekly" snapshot policy schedule at the source and a mirrrorandvault snapmirror policy, it will transfer fine and my retention works at the destination BUT that weekly snap is then held at the source for a week, but I only want 48 hours.

Similarly if I create a "Monthly" schedule and label, it will transfer and retain at the destination, BUT the monthly snap is then held at source for a month! This is no good space-wise on a hybrid or flash aggr.

I have tried to fool this system by creating a daily schedule at source with a label of "monthly" and rentention of 1.. which is then transferred by the policy.. BUT the retention keeps one every day!

We could probably push to use a weekly label, but then our 7 year retention would need manual intervention as 7 years of weeklys breaks the 255 snapshot limit.

I've also looked at doing this with a cascade, but the granualirty of our retention seems impossible as it will only use the sm_created label.. and you cannot set a snapshot policy on a DP vol.

Any help on this would be greatly recieved.. before i try and raise this directly.

1 REPLY 1
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public