ONTAP Discussions

Create a CIFS share on a vFiler using OnCommand (7 Mode)

mr_robot

Hello, 

Inherited  a Netapp  FAS3250 running 7 Mode. Need to create a CIFS file share. It appears file shares were created on vFilers.

However, I am not able to create a share ona VFiler through the OnCommand interface. How am I supposed to do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mrahul

Executing commands from a vFiler unit

If you want to work strictly with the data on a vFiler unit, you can execute commands directly from it. These commands are run as if they are being run on the vFiler unit's console, and are subject to the constraints of the vFiler unit.

Enter the command: vfiler context <vfiler_name>
         Example: vfiler context vfiler1

Enter the command you want to run:
         Example: ?

This shows all the commands available to you from the context of the vFiler unit.

To return to the context of the host storage system, enter the command: vfiler context vfiler0

vFiler unit preparation for CIFS

You can run the cifs setup command to configure CIFS on the vFiler unit. You can also configure CIFS while creating the vFiler unit by using the vfiler create command.

From the hosting storage system, you can use the vfiler run command to issue CIFS commands for vFiler units. You can use System Manager to manage user accounts and shares.

When you use an IPv6 address, you should enter the following command: vfiler run vfiler_name options cifs.ipv6.enable on.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mrahul

Executing commands from a vFiler unit

If you want to work strictly with the data on a vFiler unit, you can execute commands directly from it. These commands are run as if they are being run on the vFiler unit's console, and are subject to the constraints of the vFiler unit.

Enter the command: vfiler context <vfiler_name>
         Example: vfiler context vfiler1

Enter the command you want to run:
         Example: ?

This shows all the commands available to you from the context of the vFiler unit.

To return to the context of the host storage system, enter the command: vfiler context vfiler0

vFiler unit preparation for CIFS

You can run the cifs setup command to configure CIFS on the vFiler unit. You can also configure CIFS while creating the vFiler unit by using the vfiler create command.

From the hosting storage system, you can use the vfiler run command to issue CIFS commands for vFiler units. You can use System Manager to manage user accounts and shares.

When you use an IPv6 address, you should enter the following command: vfiler run vfiler_name options cifs.ipv6.enable on.

mr_robot

Hi, I guess that means it's not possible through OnCommand.

So assuming, i've already created the volume,  /vol/RecsVolume through OnCOmmand.

When I'm logged into the Netapp, all I'd have to do at this stage is :

vfiler context PRIVFiler02

cifs shares -add RecordsShare /vol/RecsVolume  -comment "Company Records"

Then it'd be ready to be accessed?

mrahul

vfiler run vfilername cifs shares   --> Check the share access/permissions

vfiler run vfilername cifs domaininfo --> Confirm you are part of the right domain 

Check  your wafl default security style. --> options wafl.default_security_style

hopefully it's NTFS -   Check to see your vol status

If above everything is right, you should be good to go and access your share without any issues.

Public