ONTAP Discussions

DM5000H Storage with Ontap 9.7 with information alert led amber

ahmar

Hi Team,

We have new storage configured and all looks good but we have an information alert led  amber.

This appeared once we had down a power cyle of the system and reseated one of the power supply and the controller.

No fault as per logs and ,Kindly advice

regards

ahmar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ahmar

Hi Team,

Finally issue solved after Power cycle of the Storage System. No further amber Led.

All appears green.

Thanks all for the advice and input

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Ontapforrum

Most likely - "Uncleared alarm set on the shelf" .

Looks like it is a Lenovo Hardware running ONTAP software.  Interesting, I am sure there is a Lenovo Support for this hardware ? Have you tried reaching out to them first. In case they direct you to NetApp, then please raise a ticket with NetApp support.

ahmar

Hi, Lenovo support seems to be clue less after exchange of emails, that's why I came to Netapp forum.

Comment from lenovo support  >>With all this being said, I would like to know if it would be possible
to run the following set of commands that may give us a better hint on
what exactly is causing the amber LED to show up:

::>set -priv advanced
::*>system controller fru led show       >> didnt work

Command not supported on this platform.
Use this command instead: system controller service-event show

::*>system controller service-event show

This table is currently empty

Now is there a way to clear "Uncleared alarm set on the shelf"   as you mentioned?

Additionally i found the attached article. If you can check this.

Highly appreciate your input.

Thanks

Thanks

Ontapforrum

Let me take a look. 

In the mean time, could you quickly give the output of this command:

Get to the Node-shell:
::> node run -node <node>
Node> storage show fault -v

Look under the Power Supplies: Element Status section.

Following is the output from one of our filer Node:

Power Supplies:
Element Status Status Bytes Status Descriptions
1: OK 01,00,00,A0 RQSTED ON
2: OK 01,00,00,A0 RQSTED ON

ahmar

This is already executed and and attached is the output, nothing found.

Power Supplies:
Element Status Status Bytes Status Descriptions
1: OK 01,00,00,A0 RQSTED ON
2: OK 01,00,00,A0 RQSTED ON

Ontapforrum

That article you shared does not apply as you are on 9.7 (latest) software. Overall, your system seems alright.

It has to be something to do with uncleared alert, I suggest raise a ticket with NetApp support.  There is a article in NetApp KB, which suggests contacting support.

Attention amber LED ON in a shelf without any alert reported
https://mysupport.netapp.com/site/article?lang=en&type=solution&page=%2FAdvice_and_Troubleshooting%2FData_Storage_Systems%2FFAS_Systems%2FAttention_am...

ahmar

Thanks for your input, Pls guide how to raise a ticket in Netapp as we have Lenovo box running Ontap.

Are we eligible for the Ontap direct support?

Ontapforrum

Please reach out to the nearest contact centre (wherever you are, numbers are in the link below)
NetApp Global Services Contacts:
https://www.netapp.com/us/contact-us/support.aspx

As I read on the internet, NetApp & Lenovo has formed partnership, so they must have given some thought to 'support' for Hardware/Software. Just give a call to NetApp support, they will guide you further.

Also, do you have an Account Manager for the Lenovo Hardware(ONTAP) for your company, may be he will be able to guide you on 'How you can reach out to NetApp/Lenovo for Hardware/Software related issues'.

Let me also reach out @Drew_C : He may be able to  guide you on this.

ahmar

Hi,

Below was the response from Lenovo Tech support after i contacted them for email notification issue and I was directed to them by Lenovo Professional services guy only after he failed to come up with the correct commands. Which you have finally shared. Hopefully they will work.

"Kindly be informed that we are hardware break and fix only team, for any other issues including configuration, how to .. etc. please contact Lenovo professional services".

ahmar

And further they are sending Customer satisfaction form for the support, sounds like a cruel joke.

Ontapforrum

Certainly very disappointing experience. I am not surprised that Lenovo Support is clueless about ONTAP, but I am surprised about the fact that the Lenovo Hardware is running ONTAP Operating system and it is the most important piece, and should have skilled support. I would think such calls  should be directed to NetApp support.

Have you tried reaching out to NetApp support yet ? Why don't you reach out to top management of Lenovo about this experience.

Just give a call to NetApp support number I provided and let us know the response, so that we can work out what is the best way to get some help here.

ahmar

Hi Team,

Finally issue solved after Power cycle of the Storage System. No further amber Led.

All appears green.

Thanks all for the advice and input

Public