ONTAP Discussions

DR FAILBACK TEST

dragontiger

After we have done FAILOVER test, we also wanted to test FAILBACK test, I understand that could be done by "reverse resync".

My question is, for test purpose, are there any way, we can disregard any updates we made on DR site when we perform "reverse resync"?

8 REPLIES 8

aborzenkov

Assuming you are speaking about SnapMirror - you can revert volume(s) to the latest common snapshot that was used as base for testing. But if you have production data, that's rather challenging exercise 🙂

netappmagic

dragontiger

Yes, I am referring to SnapMirror.

When you are saying the latest common snapshot, are you referring to the last snaphost before SM relationship got broken off when I failover to DR site, which also means revert the volumes to the status as it was before failover?

In THEORY, if we could revert volume to that status, the PRODUCTION should be kept the same as before failover. Correct? Yes, it sounds risky.

Would you please share the detailed command on how to revert the volume to the latest common snapshot which is ignore all updates on DR site?

aborzenkov

When you are saying the latest common snapshot, are you referring to the last snaphost before SM relationship got broken off when I failover to DR site, which also means revert the volumes to the status as it was before failover?

Yes.

Would you please share the detailed command on how to revert the volume to the latest common snapshot which is ignore all updates on DR site?

As in documentation - in advanced mode

volume snapshot restore -vserver vs0.example.com -volume src_os -snapshot src_os_snap_3

netappmagic
Would you pls send me the link of the doc and what the command is to fail back and update what's been changed on DR to original productions?

Thanks a lot!

netappmagic

Please if anybody share the following:

1.  Would you pls send me the link of the doc in details about failback?

2. what the command is to fail back and update what's been changed on DR to original productions?

3. When I failback, can I failback to a new volume?

Thank you for sharing.

aborzenkov

Yes, you can setup SnapMirror to different volume on source system.

netappmagic

Could you please provide the right link of the document?

or what is the detailed command to failback to a new volume name?

Appreciate your patience. There are a lot of docs, I am just not sure which one is the right one.

Public