Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

ONTAP Discussions

Deleting SnapCenter Resource Group Also Deletes ALL SNAPSHOTS!

TMADOCTHOMAS

So the other day I was performing initial steps to decommission a NetApp cluster. We are keeping it in place for two weeks so we can restore from snapshots if needed. As part of the decommission, I of course removed SnapMirror and SnapCenter jobs. Much to my shock, removing the SnapCenter job in the vCenter plug-in (i.e. the Resource Group) removed not only the job but ALL THE SNAPSHOTS that the job had created!! It felt like I'd been hit with a virus.

Needless to say I opened a case. My second shock was to discover this is BY DESIGN:

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/sc-plugin-vmware-vsphere/scpivs44_manage_resource_groups.html#delete-resource-groups

To me this is amazing that this is default behavior, with no way to change it as far as I can tell. I am requesting a feature request to allow a check box to override this behavior, but wanted to post it here for additional visibility. I can't imagine anyone thinking that deleting a backup job would delete the backups. I've never seen a single backup software program do that in my life, from any vendor.

Anyone from NetApp care to comment? Can this be changed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hi @tahmad , it is bug ID #1410317.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

tahmad

hello  @TMADOCTHOMAS ,

can you please share the bug # for future reference?

thanks

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hi @tahmad , it is bug ID #1410317.

View solution in original post

tahmad

Thanks @TMADOCTHOMAS  for your update

paul_stejskal

Did they open a RFE/bug yet in Support? If it is an urgent/important issue the account team can also help prioritize the fix or possibly submit a fPVR for you. I would suggest both routes.

Hi @paul_stejskal , I'm on the line with NetApp now and he is opening a bug for this.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public