ONTAP Discussions

Doubt with volume nfs and cifs

santunez_cl

Hello Guys

Excuse my question but I have some doubts regarding mounting NFS and CIFS volumes

I have Ontap 9.7 which I have NFS and CIFS configured.

I have created Storage VM for cifs and nfs, and then in the case of NFS I have created a 1TB volume to present to a Linux Centos Server.

The volume mounts without problems, but I have doubts with the mount, since when executing a showmount -e with the 2 NFS IPs that I configure for each node it shows me the volume, but it is not clear to me if I should mount with both IPs or only one, additionally, if there is a way to only have one VIP IP to mount the volume

With CIFS I have the same question, how to make the mount of share with both IP or only one

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMACMD

NFS and CIFS only clients only mount/share over ONE IP at a time per mount/share.

You can setup the multiple IP addresses in DNS for Round-robin load balancing and use a name instead of an IP. This will at least use the network on both NetApp controllers.

ONTAP has an On-Box DNS load balancing mechanism that distributes IP addresses via internal load calculations. 

I know with NFS, you can specify multiple IP addresses for failover purposes, but ONTAP does that anyway.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TMACMD

NFS and CIFS only clients only mount/share over ONE IP at a time per mount/share.

You can setup the multiple IP addresses in DNS for Round-robin load balancing and use a name instead of an IP. This will at least use the network on both NetApp controllers.

ONTAP has an On-Box DNS load balancing mechanism that distributes IP addresses via internal load calculations. 

I know with NFS, you can specify multiple IP addresses for failover purposes, but ONTAP does that anyway.

Netapp_maniac

Yes , You can use 1 IP in case of NFS and CIFS .

Public