ONTAP Discussions

Doubt with volume nfs and cifs

santunez_cl

Hello Guys

Excuse my question but I have some doubts regarding mounting NFS and CIFS volumes

I have Ontap 9.7 which I have NFS and CIFS configured.

I have created Storage VM for cifs and nfs, and then in the case of NFS I have created a 1TB volume to present to a Linux Centos Server.

The volume mounts without problems, but I have doubts with the mount, since when executing a showmount -e with the 2 NFS IPs that I configure for each node it shows me the volume, but it is not clear to me if I should mount with both IPs or only one, additionally, if there is a way to only have one VIP IP to mount the volume

With CIFS I have the same question, how to make the mount of share with both IP or only one

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMAC_CTG

NFS and CIFS only clients only mount/share over ONE IP at a time per mount/share.

You can setup the multiple IP addresses in DNS for Round-robin load balancing and use a name instead of an IP. This will at least use the network on both NetApp controllers.

ONTAP has an On-Box DNS load balancing mechanism that distributes IP addresses via internal load calculations. 

I know with NFS, you can specify multiple IP addresses for failover purposes, but ONTAP does that anyway.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Netapp_maniac

Yes , You can use 1 IP in case of NFS and CIFS .

TMAC_CTG

NFS and CIFS only clients only mount/share over ONE IP at a time per mount/share.

You can setup the multiple IP addresses in DNS for Round-robin load balancing and use a name instead of an IP. This will at least use the network on both NetApp controllers.

ONTAP has an On-Box DNS load balancing mechanism that distributes IP addresses via internal load calculations. 

I know with NFS, you can specify multiple IP addresses for failover purposes, but ONTAP does that anyway.

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public