ONTAP Discussions

EMS Log : SNAPMIRROR SYNCHORONOUS EXCEPTION: Splitter critical threshold breached [OWM]

Terry_Lui

I just receive an alert message from EMS log “<callhome_syncsm_exception_1 subject="SNAPMIRROR SYNCHORONOUS EXCEPTION: Splitter critical threshold breached [OWM]"/>”

I just look around on NetApp support site and just find out some problem is about “when certain parameters exceed critical thresholds during a lifecycle of the SnapMirror Synchronous relationship”

What should I check and what should I do next? Many Thanks….

4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

Looks like an informational alert. As long as relationship moves to the InSync status, and this alert is not repeating, it should be ok. It could be delay in the network that caused the breach of threshold.

Page 191:https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMLP2857180
EMS Identifier callhome.syncsm.exception
Severity: NOTICE
Description This message occurs when critical thresholds are breached for a SnapMirror(R) Synchronous
relationship. If your system is configured to do so, it generates and transmits an AutoSupport
(or "call home") message to NetApp technical support and to the configured destinations.
Successful delivery of an AutoSupport message significantly improves problem determination
and resolution.
Corrective Action Contact support personnel if this problem occurs repeatedly and prevents the relationship from
moving to the InSync status.
Syslog Message Call home for %s.
Parameters subject (STRING): AutoSupport subject or title for this event.
AutoSupport To (default): disabled

tahmad

Terry_Lui

"HA Group Notification from node1 (SNAPMIRROR SYNCHORONOUS EXCEPTION: Splitter critical threshold breached [OWM]) NOTICE" were received,  but snapmirror still insycn. 

I was find in same question in communtiy,  it was say that "It just recorded the event that one of the snapmirror synchronous resource pool (OWM) has reached a high threshold, due to which a recycling was activated to reclaim the unused ones. This is indicative of a workload operating on many small files. That's what triggered this event."

But I still have few point didn't  understand. My question as below:

1. The root cause is still unknown, why will trgger out?
  2. Why OWM hit the threshold ? 
  3. Why there was so much workload operating on many small files ?

Thank you.

tahmad

If this is something that happened once, you can ignore it. But if you need further information about the root cause, you can always open a support ticket.

Public