ONTAP Discussions

Enable read reallocation on a volume?

dtapper

Hi,

We're having some read latency issues on a particular volume in our environment. We can see both random- and sequential reads on the particular volume. Block size also seems to be bigger than on our other NFS datastores in our environment. 

I have enabled read reallocation with the space-optimized option on the volume. Question: Do I also need to run a manually reallocation on the volume or will the volume start the reallocation in the background? Reallocate show doesn't show anything, only "This table is currently empty".

Environment: 

Ontap 8.3.1

VMware vSphere 6

NFS datastore, VMDK

BR,

David T

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

asulliva

Hello @dtapper,

ONTAP will automatically move sequentially read data into a more optimized layout.  You do not need to run a manual reallocate of the volume specifically for the read reallocation feature.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

asulliva

Hello @dtapper,

ONTAP will automatically move sequentially read data into a more optimized layout.  You do not need to run a manual reallocate of the volume specifically for the read reallocation feature.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public