ONTAP Discussions

FAS2700 upgrade

siemensocs

Hello,

We have been using Netapp FAS 2040 in HA mode with 2 Controllers. And having 33 Disks (500GB/1TB/2TB)s providing effective Size of 11 TB. Netapp operates on 1 GB Network with NFS connectivity. 

We are looking for a new mid-range solution as the Model FAS2040 is out of warranty and support. The recommendation we received is FAS 2720 with ( 12 x 2 TB) disks. 

1. Firstly I would like to know if this suggested upgrade is practical? Has anyone experience using this model FAS2720 or FAS2700 Series?

2. I feel 24 TB will be not sufficient, considering the fact that Netapp's RAID-DP will have 3 Disks reserved plus there will be some disks kept in reserve as well. So lets says 3 Disks for reserve and 3 for RAID-DP , giving approximate size of 6 or 7 x 2 TB ~ 14 TB. I feel then we should go for 4 TB Disks giving us, 12 x 4 TB ~ 48 GB or effective  6 x 4TB = 24 TB Size.

I would appreciate your comments/suggestions on this topic. I am currently reading the datasheet of FAS2720.

I would update this case with more questions as and when required. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

admin

13 REPLIES 13

SpindleNinja

There are two models currently in the 27xx series.  the 2720 and 2750.   the 2720 is the more entry level model,  typically using SATA disks,  where the 2750 is SAS/SSD typically.  

As far as sizing goes,   either will work,  the 4T disks will give you more room to grow,  but do you plan on growing that much and is it worth the extra upfront cost?    

Is the 2040 using any dedupe on the volumes? 

siemensocs

Thanks for the reply. Here are my comments.

There are two models currently in the 27xx series.  the 2720 and 2750.   the 2720 is the more entry level model,  typically using SATA disks,  where the 2750 is SAS/SSD typically.   

We are currently having only SAS disks and was looking for both solutions 1. SAS and 2 SSD. So we got 2 offers . 1st for 2720 and other one AFF A200 HA with 24 x 960 GB SSDs. But the cost of it just goes beyound sky.

So its good to know that 2720 only supports SATA disks, otherwise I was thinking of asking for SSD disks for this model.

As far as sizing goes,   either will work,  the 4T disks will give you more room to grow,  but do you plan on growing that much and is it worth the extra upfront cost?    

If not 4TB then maybe lesser than that maybe 3 TB. But I really feel 12 x 2TB ~  18 TB for 3-4 Years will not be sufficient. 

I do not see exponential growth but atleast , 12 x 3 TB ~ 25-27TB should suffice for 5-10 Years.

Is the 2040 using any dedupe on the volumes?

What is this?

SpindleNinja

The 2720 can support SATA,SAS,SSD (according to HWU) but typically I see them just with SATA,  sometimes a SSD for flashpool.    

Check out HWU it will tell you a lot about each controller model. -> https://hwu.netapp.com

the 3TB disks are being phased out.   

dedupe = deduplication.   is a space savings mechanism that checks for like blocks in volumes.

https://www.netapp.com/us/info/what-is-data-deduplication.aspx 

siemensocs

Thanks for the links. I will check and get back.

SpindleNinja

No problem.  

There were some more restricted limits back in the 2040s days,  so I figured i'd ask.

https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1000944/~/what-are-the-deduplication-maximum-volume-sizes-and-deduplication-maximum-total 

My reason for asking about dedupe,  is your 11TB used,  might be reduced on a modern system.  

siemensocs

Thanks. I will check that as well too.

Any idea how the migration of data should take place between old and new Netapp Filer?

SpindleNinja

what's currently running on there.  I saw you mention NFS,   but is it VMware related or Linux hosts ?   

siemensocs

what's currently running on there.  I saw you mention NFS,   but is it VMware related or Linux hosts ?   

Both. We have data partitions mapped via NFS as well as datatores via NFS. Datastores contain VMs of VMWare.

SpindleNinja

VMware is easy (usually).  Just setup new datastores and migrate via storage vmotion.  

The non-vmware,  two options;  rsync (or something simalier)  or the 7MTT  7mode Transition Tool.    Check to see what version of ontap your 2040 is running and see if this is an option for you. 

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-7mdt-sm%2FGUID-8DBDE4CE-A347-4BBF-9DCA-CEC87B6211E5.html 

I perfer to use the 7MTT when I can for migrations when I can.  

siemensocs

VMware is easy (usually).  Just setup new datastores and migrate via storage vmotion.  

Is it possible to do it without VMotion?

I perfer to use the 7MTT when I can for migrations when I can.  

I have not used it yet but looks interesting.

Thanks for your comments.

SpindleNinja

I would think you could use the 7MTT to move the datastores as a whole,  but downtime for the VMs on the datastore(s) moving will be required.  

Why not use sVmotion?   

siemensocs

I would think you could use the 7MTT to move the datastores as a whole,  but downtime for the VMs on the datastore(s) moving will be required.  

You mean, when we have old and new Netapps in place then we can migrate the data from old to new using 7MTT without distrupting the users??

I mean,

1. Just turn on new Netapp with version 9.4 or something

2. And then using 7MTT over Network. ()

3. Migrate the datastores from Datastore (Netapp 8.1) to Datastore (Netapp 9.4 )

4. And then turn off the old netapp.

5. Start using the new one? (For this we keep the hostnames of the Netapp nodes same as the old ones after migration)

Like said before, almost all the Netapp data is accessed using NFS.

Is this correct or am I missing something.

Why not use sVmotion? 

we do not have it. We use free ESXi

Thanks.

Regards.

SpindleNinja

I would still present out new datastores from the 27xx and move the VMs cold, It's less disruptive and an easier revert plan.   

A colleague of mine is also sugesting this could work for you

too: 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/backup/95/free/migration_job.html

Public