ONTAP Discussions

Find out what is eating up free space

Technik

Hallo everybody,

I know this is a typical newbie question. But I asked several people with more knowledge without a result.
We have this hardware: FAS2040, DS4243

Usage is a VMware environment as well as some SMB shares.

The problem is, that some process is eating up the free space and I do not know how to find out what is causing this.

Old Snapshots were removed but what can I do to find the real cause?

Regards,
Technik

3 REPLIES 3

paulstringfellow

if you could supply a little more info on where you think space should be and where it's going from.

always good to look at things like space reclamation - size of snapshots, busy snapshots, that kind of thing.

you can also use some of the oncommand management tools to do a bit of trend analysis etc.

hariprak

Hi,

The vol status -S command displays the space used by each of the file system components as well as other features. The vol status -S command includes offline volumes. For example, you might want to understand why the df command output shows that a large amount of space is still used even though you deleted all of your data in a volume. In this case, output for the volume space usage command might show that it is due to Snapshot copies, inodes, or other metadata that does not shrink.

Only non-zero values are displayed in the command output. However, you can use the -v parameter to display all possible feature rows regardless of whether they are enabled and using any space. A value of - indicates that there is no data available to display.

The following tables explain some of the common rows in the vol status -S command output and what you can do to try to decrease space usage by that feature:

The output for this command consists of the following main categories:

User data
    Volume metadata
    Snapshot copy information
    Total used space

You can also refer this link which explains about how to determine and control space usage in a volume, https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1196986/html/GUID-77437C70-6983-4BF7-AA01-2E5F7C709059.html

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

thomas_glodde

labfiler02*> priv set diag
labfiler02*> vol status -S
vol status: Unrecognized option -S
usage:
vol status [<vol-name>] [-d | -r | -v[C] | -l | -c | -C[v] | -b | -s | -f | -m | -w | -?]
  - print the status of volume <vol-name> (or all volumes)
  (Only -v, -l, -b, and -? are available in a vfiler context)

labfiler02*>

???

Edit: Seems to be ONTAP 8.2+ only.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public