ONTAP Discussions

Getting rid of old root disks...

GrumpyOldMen

I want to repurpose disks earlier used in a cluster. The disks are added to the cluster and are visible/appearing as unassigned disks. During the assignment of the disks to a node of the cluster, 6 disks are identified as being the old root-disks. Is there a way to get rid of the data on those disks.

netapp01::*> storage disk show -disk 3.*.*
Usable Disk Container Container
Disk Size Shelf Bay Type Type Name Owner
---------------- ---------- ----- --- ------- ----------- --------- --------
3.41.0 - 41 0 FSAS unassigned - -
3.41.1 - 41 1 FSAS unassigned - -

netapp01::*> storage disk assign -disk 3.41.0 -owner netapp01-07

After changing the ownership of the disk, the disk is identified not being a spare.

netapp01::*> storage disk show -disk 3.*.*
Usable Disk Container Container
Disk Size Shelf Bay Type Type Name Owner
---------------- ---------- ----- --- ------- ----------- --------- --------
3.41.0 3.63TB 41 0 FSAS aggregate n05root netapp01-07
3.41.1 - 41 1 FSAS unassigned - -

Is there a way to revert the disk as being a spare? I know it could be done by using maintenance mode. But then I have to reboot the node and as this is production I would like to find out if there are other ways.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

Hi

have you seen this KB ? https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1030491

the process got much simplified recently and not require loading to maint anymore (also for old versions)

G

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GidonMarcus

Hi

have you seen this KB ? https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1030491

the process got much simplified recently and not require loading to maint anymore (also for old versions)

G

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

GrumpyOldMen

Hi GidonMarcus,

That's exactly what I was looking for. THX!!!!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public