ONTAP Discussions

HOT CHANGE DISC DS224C

MickeyFC

Dear,

I have 3 broken disks inside my DS224C, I have already bought the 3 disks to replace them with the same characteristics and everything, however I need to know what is the procedure to change those disks or is it just to remove the tray and insert the new disks in replacement of the damaged?

Note that when I run the following command storage disk option show; I have Automatic Assignment ON, can I make the change or do I have to do it manually and turn it OFF?

I hope your support with this discussion as I am new to NetApp

Best regards

Mickey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pedro_rocha

You can just remove the failed drives from the shelf and replace them.

after that just assign them properly to the controllers you want

if this is not a NetApp drive you could have issues as it can be out of the qualdevices specifications. you will know after you assign the disk

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shaneo

Hello,

Please follow the steps below.

Verify if automatic drive assignment is enabled:  storage disk option show

If you have an HA pair, you can enter the command at the console of either controller.

If automatic drive assignment is enabled, the output shows “on” (for each controller) in the “Auto Assign” column.

If automatic drive assignment is enabled, you need to disable it:  storage disk option modify -node node_name -autoassign off

You need to disable automatic drive assignment on both controllers in an HA pair.

Please see the included link.  Please let us know if this answers your question. Or if you have anything further we can assist with. https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap-systems/sas3/service-hot-swap-drive-ds224c-ds212c.html

MickeyFC

Thank you very much for the prompt response, as I indicated if I have the agination activated, my advice would be if it is necessary to deactivate it and put it in OFF mode or can I change the discs without doing that?

Since I have to change 3 disks hot

ttran

Hi @MickeyFC ,

Here you can find exact instructions for the disk replacement: Hot-swap a disk drive in a DS224C or DS212C disk shelf . Leaving disk auto-assignment enabled should be fine for most instances, but there are scenarios where you have to manually designate which node the disks are assigned to, to properly address the degraded state of multiple failures. Disable auto-assignment before you manually assign the drives; here is a reference article Manually assigning disk ownership

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

MickeyFC

Thank you very much for the prompt response, as I indicated if I have the agination activated, my advice would be if it is necessary to deactivate it and put it in OFF mode or can I change the discs without doing that?

pedro_rocha

You can just remove the failed drives from the shelf and replace them.

after that just assign them properly to the controllers you want

if this is not a NetApp drive you could have issues as it can be out of the qualdevices specifications. you will know after you assign the disk

ttran

That's correct, this is a viable option. Echoing @pedro_rocha physically replace the failed drives and perform the manual disk assignment mentioned previously if necessary.

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

MickeyFC

Thank you very much, everything is very clear to me, I will proceed to change the discs

MickeyFC

Thank you very much, everything is very clear to me, I will proceed to change the discs

Saludos Cordiales

Public