ONTAP Discussions

Has anyone setup Netapp AV scanners on Virtual Machines??

MAHESH1111111

Hi Everyone - just checking if anyone is extensively using Netapp AV Scanners running on Virtual Machines instead of physical. I've always heard its a best practise to have physical servers dedicated for this purpose but due to increased NIC bandwidth on the ESX hosts to 10GbE, more CPU and Memory resources available - I dont see why not leverage Virtual machines which will save some good cost and management.

I'd like to hear from others who may have already converted their physical to virtual and what has been their experience so far 🙂 Thanks

Regards

Mahesh.P

2 REPLIES 2

JGPSHNTAP

Physical servers would be great, but cost prohibitive.  We have a very large file services environment in PBs and all our vscan pods are virtual

MAHESH1111111

Yes, thats correct - cost plus there is always that push to leverage the opportunity of a Server refresh and convert to Virtual. Can you please provide the specifications of the VM you've been using also was there anything special done w.r.t dedicating CPU, Memory, Network resources. Also what is the Antivirus Vendor running in your environment (Not sure if this is a privacy question, if so - you can ignore answering this 🙂 ) Thanks.

Public