ONTAP Discussions

Help with Ontap 8.1.4 verbose on console on FAS3140

ericknoleto

Hi ppl.

I got an HA pair of FAS3140 running ONTAP 8.1.4 P6. I've seem that one of my filers "talks a lot" (high verbose...)

example... When I trigger autosupport, it give me some info on it:

Filer-B> options autosupport.doit now
Filer-B> Tue Mar 21 16:59:15 BRT [NETAPP-TRT18-B:callhome.invoke.all:info]: User triggered complete call home for USER_TRIGGERED (COMPLETE:now)
Tue Mar 21 17:00:00 BRT [NETAPP-TRT18-B:kern.uptime.filer:info]: 5:00pm up 23:00 44206858 NFS ops, 87451893 CIFS ops, 0 HTTP ops, 9144887 FCP ops, 0 iSCSI ops

... when I trigger an autosup on my Filer-A, it givers out nothing.. Still the autosupport goes to NetApp, but it 'says nothing' (on the console).

I've double checked the output from "options" from both filers, they are similar, no big differences... Can someone help me? This level of verbose on the console is really useful for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

Hi

on the filer that not outputting messages. check if someone created /etc/syslog.conf file. if you don't see important customization in it. you can delete/rename the file so the system will have the default behavior

Gidi

@ericknoleto wrote:

Hi ppl.

I got an HA pair of FAS3140 running ONTAP 8.1.4 P6. I've seem that one of my filers "talks a lot" (high verbose...)

Filer-B> Tue Mar 21 16:59:15 BRT [NETAPP-TRT18-B:callhome.invoke.all:info]: User triggered complete call home for USER_TRIGGERED (COMPLETE:now)
Tue Mar 21 17:00:00 BRT [NETAPP-TRT18-B:kern.uptime.filer:info]: 5:00pm up 23:00 44206858 NFS ops, 87451893 CIFS ops, 0 HTTP ops, 9144887 FCP ops, 0 iSCSI ops

... when I trigger an autosup on my Filer-A, it givers out nothing.. Still the autosupport goes to NetApp, but it 'says nothing' (on the console).

I've double checked the output from "options" from both filers, they are similar, no big differences... Can someone help me? This level of verbose on the console is really useful for me.

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SeanHatfield

Someone may have altered the syslog.conf file on that controller.  If so, this kb may help:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka31A0000000mxu/how-to-properly-disable-console-logging

It's also possible they set a bootarg.  If so you may have to reboot the controller and unset these two loader variables:

bootarg.init.console_muted

bootarg.init.console_level

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

ericknoleto

You were right, someone created an syslog.conf... I`m going to read thru the link you posted to learn more about syslog on NetApp.

Thanks!

GidonMarcus

Hi

on the filer that not outputting messages. check if someone created /etc/syslog.conf file. if you don't see important customization in it. you can delete/rename the file so the system will have the default behavior

Gidi

@ericknoleto wrote:

Hi ppl.

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

ericknoleto

You guys were right, someone create a syslog.conf file on the mute Filer... I deleted and know it's all talky again
Thanks for you both for the fast reply, gonna give a good read on both your references.

Public