I would recommend using OnCommand System Manager (which is on-box now 🙂 ) for creation of lun with space efficiency
To open Oncommand System Manager just use the cluster management lif ip address on the browser
OnCommand System Manager help
For volume creation
Expand the Storage Virtual Machines hierarchy in the left navigation pane.
- In the navigation pane, select the SVM and click .
- Click Create.
- In the Create Volume dialog box, specify a new name if you want to change the default name.
- Select the containing aggregate for the volume.
- Select the type of storage for which you are creating this volume.
You have to select Data Protection if you are creating a SnapMirror destination volume. You are provided read-only access to this volume.
- Specify the size of the volume and the percentage of the total volume size that you want to reserve for Snapshot copies.
The default space reserved for Snapshot copies is zero percent for SAN and VMware volumes. For NAS volumes, the default is five percent.
- If you want to enable thin provisioning for the volume, select Thin Provisioned.
When thin provisioning is enabled, space is allocated to the volume from the aggregate only when data is written to it.
- If you want to enable deduplication, compression, or both these features on this volume, make the necessary changes in the Storage Efficiency tab.
System Manager uses the default deduplication schedule. If the specified volume size exceeds the limit required for running deduplication, the volume is created and deduplication is not enabled.
And for lun
- Expand the Storage Virtual Machines hierarchy in the left navigation pane.
- In the navigation pane, select the Storage Virtual Machine (SVM), and click .
- In the LUN Management tab, click Create.
- In the Create LUN Wizard, specify the name, size, type, and description for the LUN, and click Next.
- Create a new FlexVol volume for the LUN or select an existing volume or qtree, and click Next.
- Add initiator groups if you want to control host access to the LUN, and click Next.