ONTAP Discussions

How to access NetApps Configuration in order to enable the disabled network interfaces

oamc_muscat

Hello all,

im new to NetApps and have no idea how to configure it nor how access it throught configuration port.

what happen is that our storage was working fine until one of our staff accessed the storage configuration through http portal and turnned the virtual interface off. now we are unable to access the device in order to turn it on.

please assist me in order to resolve this issue

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lwei

You can hook up a RS232 cable to the config port, use hyperterm or a similar tool (baud rate 9600). Then, you'll have access to the configuration the same as if you are using a telnet.

Hope it helps,

Wei

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

lwei

You can hook up a RS232 cable to the config port, use hyperterm or a similar tool (baud rate 9600). Then, you'll have access to the configuration the same as if you are using a telnet.

Hope it helps,

Wei

oamc_muscat

thanks Wei,

sorry im still beginer in this.

do i have to configure any thing or any command to be executed to connect and how to enable the interfaces

thanks

lwei

You use a RS232 cable, one end plug into the serial or config port of the NetApp controller, the other end plug into the serial port on your computer or laptop. These days, most laptops don't come with a serial port any more. In this case, then you need a USB to searial port converter (it's an adapter with a CD with some software you need to install). Once you have the cable hooked up, use Hyper Terminal (comes with Windows), and configure the session (select the right COM port, set baud rate, etc.) Once that's done, you should see a NetApp controller interface inside the hyperterm and you can configure the controller from there. If you have not done this before, probably it's a good idea to ask someone to help.

Alternatively, you may still have telnet access to the NetApp controller. I think the disabling of http only disables the GUI. If so, then it's easier than using the RS232. Please let me know if you can access the controller via telnet.

Thanks,

Wei

rajn

HI,,I need helpn installing the correct driver.

Also i need to hit some keys before i se netapp prompt on the hyperterminal.

is it ctrl+D or ctrl+g?

stephans

Hi there - this article was returned in a search for serial console port settings, so I thought I'd share updated values here.  For a modern controller, like an AFF A200, you'll want to use a baud rate of 115200, data bits = 8, stop bits = 1, parity = none, flow control = none.  Hope this helps someone 🙂

Public