ONTAP Discussions

How to change container ?

TomatoLiam

HI,

I assigned new disk to nodes, but the capacity still not added into container. How do I change current container to SATA01 container ? Please refer to picture.

Netapp.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

That's correct.    Create an aggr with 11 drives + 1 spare.    and then whatever volumes you want on that.   You will also move volumes between the two aggrs if you want.  

I'd name the volume something different than the aggr name,  just for easier mgmt.  but it's your system.   

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

SpindleNinja

You can't mix SAS and SATA in the same AGGR.    (you can mix SSD and HDDs). 

I would create a second all sas aggr leaving one spare. 

TomatoLiam

HI. Thanks for the reply. Actually SATA01 it is just a container naming. All SAS type in my storage.

So I would like to know how do I change from Pool0 to SATA01 container so I could utilize the capacity.

SpindleNinja

Check here for the list of drive types - http://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap-sm-classic/online-help-96-97/concept_how_ontap_reports_drive_types.html

FSAS is the same as NL-SAS, which is typically 7.2K rpm.   check the -rpm of the drives.  

SAS is typically 10K rpm.   I've noticed in my years of travel that a lot of folks use NL-SAS and SATA interchangeably. 

storage drive show -fields rpm

TomatoLiam

Thanks @SpindleNinja for sharing the info.
Anyway, do you have idea how do I utilize my new disk shelf after assigned ownership ?

SpindleNinja

You'd want to create a new aggr with 11 of those drives leaving a spare.    - this should be pretty straight forward via the GUI. 

However... It doesn't look like you have an aggr on node 1 correct?     You might want to consider moving ownership of those new drives to node 01 and create the aggr there.   

Let me know if you want the steps for this. 

TomatoLiam

Yes, you are pretty correct. But I do not want to change aggr to Node 1, i want to kept it remain in Node 2, but to Aggr Sata01 but not Pool0.

It is much appreciate if you could guide a newbie. Thanks

Netapp.JPG

SpindleNinja

not the SATA01 aggr....  But the new drives,   change their ownership to node 1 and create the aggr there. It'll help balance the workload a bit better.    but just a suggestion,  you can create the new aggr on node 02.     

again, you cannot use those SAS drives to grow the "SATA01" aggr.  

TomatoLiam

Sorry for my stupid question. I shall understand SAS & SATA are not possible to join under same aggr.

What I am going to do is :

1) create new aggr for sas named it SAS_01

2) Create new volume with SAS_01

is my step correct ? Please correct me if I am wrong again. and Thanks for your guide.

SpindleNinja

That's correct.    Create an aggr with 11 drives + 1 spare.    and then whatever volumes you want on that.   You will also move volumes between the two aggrs if you want.  

I'd name the volume something different than the aggr name,  just for easier mgmt.  but it's your system.   

TomatoLiam

Hi @SpindleNinja , much appreciate with your consult to me. I managed to create new aggr + new volume for my SAS disk. And I could provision to my vm now. 

Thank You Very Much for guide and teach me. I learnt how to do with new shelf.

Public