ONTAP Discussions

How to upgrade the filer from ONTAP version is 8.1.2 to ONTAP version to 8.2.5

Chellabittan

Hi 
We have NetApp FAS2220 SAN and 3xFujitsu PRIMERGY ESX host servers and we are using VMware Vcenter appliance.
On the NetApp filer the current ONTAP version is 8.1.2 - 7 Mode.

I would like to upgrade the filer from ONTAP version is 8.1.2 to ONTAP  version to 8.2.5. Please post me any tutorials or videos to do this upgrade. I have access to NetApp OnCommand Systems manager (version 3.0) and will I be able to do the upgrade from the GUI. Or do I need to do through the command line logging into the filer through putty session.

The  data stores are NFS

I have downloaded the upgrade file  for Ontap version 8.2.5 (825P1_q_image.tgz) 

Any help much appreciated  and thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

SpindleNinja

Have you run through the Upgrade Advisor?  It will generate NDU steps for you.   And it will be through the CLI. 

But the steps are basically: 

1. Upgrade the image on the controller. 

2. Do takeover / giveback - one node at a time.  

Also, please be sure to verify compatibility between hostside software and the target ONTAP version.  via the IMT -  https://mysupport.netapp.com/matrix/#search

Chellabittan

I have not ran the  Upgrade Advisor and will try this tomorrow? 

"It will generate NDU steps for you" - not sure what is NDU , please elaborate.   

"Upgrade the image on the controller"

I have downloaded the 825P1_q_image.tgz  from my download section on the netapp portal. Will this image file (825P1_q_image.tgz) have the necessary files to upgrade the image on the controller?

Also, please be sure to verify compatibility between hostside software and the target ONTAP version

I spoke to Netapp and i was told that NetApp Ontap version 8.2.5 is compatible with VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.5 U2 and VMware vCenter Server 6.5 U2c.

SpindleNinja

NDU is short for Non-Disruptive Upgrade  

Here's some more detailed reading: 

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1196990/html/GUID-D065829C-A715-4408-83B0-A1FA1F545824.html 

But you get the Upgrade Advisor (UA for short) via your mysupport page

Public