ONTAP Discussions

Is qtree a "file system" boundary from hard link's perspective?

ACHOU_SIMG

Hi,

ONTAP 9.1rc1

Scenario:

volume A contains 2 qtrees: tree1 and tree2

If I create a file in qtree1, and then try to create a hard link in tree2 for the file, it will complain "Invalid cross-device link." So it seems to me a qtree is like a volume having its own file system. In other words, say in qtree1 a file has inode 11111, it's possible in qtree2 there a file also having inode 11111. Is it correct?

I know hard links should be avoided in general but unfortunately the data set i am dealing with already have alot of hard links and I need to migrate them from isilon to NetApp.

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2

parisi

Qtrees are not considered file systems from a hard link perspective.

Instead, use symbolic links.

[root@centos7 qtree2]# ln /nfs/qtree1/file1 file1_link
ln: failed to create hard link ‘file1_link’ => ‘/nfs/qtree1/file1’: Invalid cross-device link

[root@centos7 qtree2]# ln -s /nfs/qtree1/file1 file1_link
[root@centos7 qtree2]# ls -la
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 21  2016 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 8192 Nov 21 09:47 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   17 Nov 21  2016 file1_link -> /nfs/qtree1/file1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 Nov 21 09:49 file2

ACHOU_SIMG

Hi Justin,

thanks for the info. The problem is I am migrating data from Isilon and it has alot of hard links. I have to create qtrees to keep the quota setups similar to the Isilon so there are many qtrees under the volume. When I copy files from Isilon to NetApp, it fails with "invalid cross-device link" error as you described because the hard links go across qtrees. I doubt there is a way to work around this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

Public