ONTAP Discussions

Metrocluster migration from FAS8080 to AFF-A400

fvs0375

Hello, i am new in Netapp storage. We have to migrate our metrocluster (FAS8080, 2 nodes, ONTAP version 9.7P9) to the new metrocluster (AFF-A400), also the VMware environment has to be migrated.

Does anyone has experience with this type of migration? Is it possible to migrate the SVM`s and the data (200 TB) in a non-disruptive way?

Thank you very much!    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Hi!

You will have to do this in two steps - for the VMware environment, use storage VMotion to move to new data stores on the new MCC. This is non disruptive.

For other file data, you will need to use snapmirror with a manual cutover - this will be disruptive, but you can script it in advance to break/release and bring the old system LIFs offline and create them on the new system, leading to hopefully a very quick disruption.

You should probably setup a test SVM on the source and destination metrocluster and create a test fileshare, and then test the scripting of the move to validate your understanding of the actions required and an how long the outage is likely to be. This will also be a good learning opportunity if you are new to NetApp systems.

We have a technology called SVM-DR but unfortunately that can't do metrocluster to metrocluster.

You may wish to reach out to your NetApp partner to find out if they have professional services which can assist further.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AlexDawson

Hi!

You will have to do this in two steps - for the VMware environment, use storage VMotion to move to new data stores on the new MCC. This is non disruptive.

For other file data, you will need to use snapmirror with a manual cutover - this will be disruptive, but you can script it in advance to break/release and bring the old system LIFs offline and create them on the new system, leading to hopefully a very quick disruption.

You should probably setup a test SVM on the source and destination metrocluster and create a test fileshare, and then test the scripting of the move to validate your understanding of the actions required and an how long the outage is likely to be. This will also be a good learning opportunity if you are new to NetApp systems.

We have a technology called SVM-DR but unfortunately that can't do metrocluster to metrocluster.

You may wish to reach out to your NetApp partner to find out if they have professional services which can assist further.

Hope this helps!

fvs0375

Hello Alex,

We have reached to our NetApp partner for the migration, i just wanted to have a better view for myself about the best possible, because i am going to administrate the new environment. I have enough information now.

Thank you very much! 

Public