ONTAP Discussions

Move disk to another storage.

edununes

Hello everyone,
Could someone explain to me what the procedure to remove the disks from one storage to be able to install in another, I need to empty an entire Shelf of disk but I need to do in parts removing half of the disks at a time, I've checked and they are not shared and I've already emptied one of the aggregates.

10 REPLIES 10

SpindleNinja

just to confirm, you are moving them from one HA system over to another? 

edununes

Yes from one H.A system to another.

edununes

Yes from one H.A system to another.

TMACMD

You would have to delete the aggregate. Get the drives to be spares.

Once they are are spares, probably turn off autoassign (disk option modify -node * -autoassign off) then remove ownership of the drives. once the owner is gone, you should be able to remove the drive and put it in another system without much of any issue.

edununes

Thank you for answering, sorry for my delay because I was off duty here at the company, I opened a case at Netapp for this task and according to them I could not remove the first 12 Shelf disks as it would violate the disk population rule, I informed them that these disks are not shared and the aggregate that it has I can exclude normally, I'm waiting for his return.

edununes

Thank you for answering, sorry for my delay because I was off duty here at the company, I opened a case at Netapp for this task and according to them I could not remove the first 12 Shelf disks as it would violate the disk population rule, I informed them that these disks are not shared and the aggregate that it has I can exclude normally, I'm waiting for his return.

edununes

Guys,

Below is the answer given to me by Netapp.

"If you are removing disks 0-11 from disk shelf 02 the system will be moved to Single/Mixed path and redundancy to the storage will be lost.

Hence, as per the disk population rule it is not recommended to remove the disks 0-11."

Sig

Hmm that surprises me.  I would not have hesitated to do just what is listed above.  I'm not sure I agree with support. When buying 1/2 populated shelves NetApp has in the recent past shipped with bays 0-11 populated (12-23 empty). Everything was HA and proper.

That said the last few I have seen have been populated 0-5 and 18-23 so perhaps something has changed but pretty sure they were the same shelf types.

Couple options

- Do it anyways as it's a temp state until you move the rest.

- Delete the aggr on disks 0-11 so they are spares, assign to node2.  "disk replace ...." odd disk numbers with the even spares until all odd disks are spares and all even disks are aggr disks.  remove odd disks as above.

Sig

or I guess "disk replace...."

disk 12 with disk 0

disk 13 with disk 1

disk 14 with disk 2

disk 15 with disk 3

disk 16 with disk 4

disk 17 with disk 5

then move disk 6-17 (as the are now spares) to your new system

ttran

Hi @edununes,

Spot on answer as always!!! @TMACMD.

It would essentially be the same steps in the following document up until step 12 as you are not preserving/migrating the aggregate, but the remaining steps to gracefully "remove" the aggregate and disks apply.

Physically moving an aggregate composed of disks 

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp
Public