ONTAP Discussions

Move disks and aggregates to new system

sdbxfr

Hello everyone,

I would like to move a volume (30TB, 57M files) from FAS to AFF. Both use NFS, successfully mounted on host. Both have same ontap version and same configuration (except IP range, subnet are different).

Rsync is not a good solution as it's very slow, I tried NetApp XCP but downtime is too long as volume must be read only, and I received errors about memory consumption. Even if sync dry run was successful, the final sync failed.

So I plan to setup shelf with some SSD disks on FAS, move volume from SAS disks to new SSD aggregate, set aggr offline, unplug shelf and plug it to the AFF. Then I will create a new aggregate with AFF with correct cache settings, and move the volume again from the basic aggregate. 

I'm going to try it with a small test volume and few data, but I would like to know if you have some specific recommandations ?  Is it a good idea ? 

Thank You

Romain 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

akiendl
Did you take a look into svm dr or snapmirror?

ak.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

akiendl
Did you take a look into svm dr or snapmirror?

ak.

sdbxfr

Thank you. No I did not think about snap mirror, and I have licenses. But those clusters are not on the same network, they can't communicate and the FAS has not free 10G port. But I'm going to check if I can add a card and deploy a temporarily network to establish a relationship. 

sdbxfr

Finally I've added two 10G nic on FAS and used snap mirror with success. Thank you.

paul_stejskal

You could do the shelf idea (which isn't bad), or SnapMirror over. Another idea would be to join the cluster and do a vol move.

Public