ONTAP Discussions

NFS mount - failed: RPC Error: Unable to receive

rondebbs1

I'm trying to get familiar with NFS mounts (I'm familiar with CIFS shares).  In my home lab on 9.4, using System Manager,  I have followed the NFS Configuration Express Guide.  Per the instructions I created a new SVM with an NFS volume and export.  I'm using just the NFS protocol and UNIX security style.  I have a volume called nfsc and a junction of /nfsc_NFS_volume.  I installed Ubuntu version 16 in my lab with IP of 172.23.4.2.  Per express guide I have created an export rule for 0.0.0.0/0 that gives access wide open access - read-only/Read-write/allow superuser access etc.  I also went in the default rule and opened everything up for that rule as well (apparently needed for the root volume).

On the Linux host I have  created a dir called /mnt/folder below.  Then you can see the error I get when trying to mount it with a couple of different mount commands.

rondebbs@ubuntu:/$ cd /mnt
rondebbs@ubuntu:/mnt$ mkdir /mnt/folder

rondebbs@ubuntu:/mnt$ sudo mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3,hard 172.23.2.13:/nfsc_NFS_volume /mnt/folder
mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '172.23.2.13:/nfsc_NFS_volume' failed: RPC Error: Unable to receive
rondebbs@ubuntu:/mnt$

rondebbs@ubuntu:/mnt$ sudo mount 172.23.2.13:/nfsc_NFS_volume /mnt/folder
mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '172.23.2.13:/nfsc_NFS_volume' failed: RPC Error: Unable to receive
rondebbs@ubuntu:/mnt$

From the linux host I can ping the nfsc lif at 172.23.2.13  and from the Netapp command line I can ping the Linux host at 172.23.4.2 but for some reason can not do the mount.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

1 REPLY 1

rondebbs1

Here are the export rules I have created - everything pretty much wide open for now until I can get mounted.

cluster1::> vserver export-policy rule show -vserver nfsc -policyname nfsc
Policy Rule Access Client RO
Vserver Name Index Protocol Match Rule
------------ --------------- ------ -------- --------------------- ---------
nfsc nfsc 1 nfs 0.0.0.0/0 any

cluster1::> vserver export-policy rule show -vserver nfsc -policyname default
Policy Rule Access Client RO
Vserver Name Index Protocol Match Rule
------------ --------------- ------ -------- --------------------- ---------
nfsc default 1 nfs 0.0.0.0/0 any

cluster1::>

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public