ONTAP Discussions

[NetApp 9.8] cluster join from node in a different subnet

YashFareki

Hello there,

I'd like to know if I can join an existing ONTAP 9.8 cluster from a node (ONTAP 9.8) located in a different subnet.

Does the node must be in the same subnet than the cluster one?

I don't find anything about this subject, if you have any documentation about this question i'll take it!

Regards.

Yash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

ok, that's a little different. I'll still ask why, and if it needs to be separate, can it just be its own cluster?   

I did some digging through docs, and couldn't find anything specific to this as far as best practices.     I would be careful that the cluster mgmt lif doesn't some how end up on the other pair. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

SpindleNinja

Do you mean the node mgmt IP?  

YashFareki

Absolutely

SpindleNinja

Node 1's mgmt IP on subnet A and node 2's IP on subnet B. 

Why?  

While I think you could, though hwassit could be affected,  i wouldn't do it for any customer.

YashFareki

Node[1-2-3-4-5-6] are in the same subnet but not node[7-8].

This is actually the configuration imposed by the network team of my company. I unfortunately cannot change that!

Will nodes[7-8] be able to join the cluster?

SpindleNinja

ok, that's a little different. I'll still ask why, and if it needs to be separate, can it just be its own cluster?   

I did some digging through docs, and couldn't find anything specific to this as far as best practices.     I would be careful that the cluster mgmt lif doesn't some how end up on the other pair. 

YashFareki

Does someone has NetApp official documentation about this?

Thanks.

YashFareki

Thank you @SpindleNinja for your reply, I think that it would be wiser to move the nodes into the same subnet.

I am however surprised that this subject is not documented.

Thanks again.

Yash

Public