ONTAP Discussions

NetApp FAS Ontap 9.8 x NetWorker

tcafe

Hi guys,

I have a Dell NetWorker client and we need to create a backup repository on NetApp.

Are there NetApp best practices for working with NetWorker?

We need to be more efficient in dedup and compress on NetApp.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMACMD

Some things to note

1. If you use NetApp AFF platforms, all efficiencies are on by default
  2. If you use NetApp FAS platforms, HDD-only aggregates do post-process efficiency runs
    1. You can turn on in-line, but it requires a node-level option change and may adversely affect performance
    2. If you take a any NetApp Snapshots before the post-process run, your savings will be less
  3. If you use NetApp FAS platforms with Hybrid (HDD+SDD FlashPool) aggregates, you can turn on in-line efficiencies without too much overhead in most cases.
  4. It is not wise to do any encryption before the data hits ONTAP. This will basically eliminate any possibility of ONTAP being able to do efficiencies.
  5. I am not sure how Networker will drop the data to ONTAP. You may need to execute the same dump a few times to see you best results
    1. Turn on efficiencies in Networker and let it go. Measure actual capacity on the NetApp
    2. Turn of efficiencies in Networker and let it go. Measure actual capacity on the NetApp
  6. If you must encrypt, use ONTAP Volume Encryption. It is most efficient in the data path this way.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TMACMD

Some things to note

1. If you use NetApp AFF platforms, all efficiencies are on by default
  2. If you use NetApp FAS platforms, HDD-only aggregates do post-process efficiency runs
    1. You can turn on in-line, but it requires a node-level option change and may adversely affect performance
    2. If you take a any NetApp Snapshots before the post-process run, your savings will be less
  3. If you use NetApp FAS platforms with Hybrid (HDD+SDD FlashPool) aggregates, you can turn on in-line efficiencies without too much overhead in most cases.
  4. It is not wise to do any encryption before the data hits ONTAP. This will basically eliminate any possibility of ONTAP being able to do efficiencies.
  5. I am not sure how Networker will drop the data to ONTAP. You may need to execute the same dump a few times to see you best results
    1. Turn on efficiencies in Networker and let it go. Measure actual capacity on the NetApp
    2. Turn of efficiencies in Networker and let it go. Measure actual capacity on the NetApp
  6. If you must encrypt, use ONTAP Volume Encryption. It is most efficient in the data path this way.

tcafe

Thanks!

Exists any document to best practices to NetApp x NetWorker?

paul_stejskal

Unfortunately no, we don't. I'd suggest reaching out to the account team for specific questions on how to architect your storage. In general, if you want to save space you'll have to give up performance if using HDDs. AFF won't have this problem, as it is designed to use inline efficiencies.

As far as specific recommendations, I'd talk to your account team.

Public