ONTAP Discussions

New TR Released: TR-4698-DEPLOY NetApp ONTAP Deploy on Intel NUC

hariprak

This document shows how to install Select Deploy on an Intel NUC to create a small form-factor Select Deploy appliance.

ONTAP Select Deploy is an essential tool used to create and monitor ONTAP Select clusters. Additionally, it provides a mediator service that enables high availability for two-node Select clusters. Deploy is provided as a virtual machine (VM) that runs on either the VMware ESXi or KVM hypervisors. In certain small-form-factor deployments, the hosts used forSelect do not have enough resources to run both a Select node and a Deploy VM.In those instances, an Intel NUC can be used to run Deploy as a low-cost, small-form-factor standalone appliance.

For more info, please click here

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
2 REPLIES 2

MarcoHarn

Hi...As per a wordpress publishing, the VM requires 4 vCPUs, 16gb of RAM, and 300gb+ of disk space, which is just within reach of a small platform like the intel NUC.

The datastore really should be a local SSD or NVME based datastore for performance reasons, so I will be deploying it to the internal NVME drive on my NUC. The VM will need about 302GB for a thick provisioned deployment.

JohnChampion

Could you share a link to the wordpress article? I'm curious why it says "300gb+" disk space - that's not a requirement for either Deploy or Select.

FYI - This post (TR) is about running Deploy on a NUC - not an actual ONTAP Select cluster. Requirements for Deploy are much lower (2 CPUs, 4GB Memory, 40Gb storage) - I run mine on a CentOS / KVM NUC setup (no OpenVswitch).

virt-install --name=deploy --vcpus=2 --ram=4096 --os-type=linux --os-variant=generic --controller=scsi,model=virtio-scsi --disk path=/home/deploy/ONTAPdeploy.raw,device=disk,bus=scsi,format=raw --network "type=bridge,source=br1,model=virtio" --console=pty --import --wait 0

A Select cluster has much more restrictive requirements and Deploy will verify much of it (ie. host, CPUs, avail. memory, storage space) - but never know what you might squeeze it into 😁

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public