ONTAP Discussions

No Space Freed After Moving Multi-TB Volume

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hello,

I moved a volume to a different aggregate to free space on it's original aggregate, but there's no additional free space showing on the original aggregate. The volume is thin provisioned but shows 5.66 TB of used space, so I would expect to see the source aggregate increase it's utilization by that amount, but it didn't change. A few more details: the recovery queue is empty and I don't have aggregate level snapshots configured on either aggregate. This is a FAS system so no cross-volume efficiency is in play either. It's our DR system and out of support so I can't open a case. OS is OnTAP 9.7P15. Any suggestions or ideas? I'm trying to free the space to allow two large and new replication jobs to complete on the original aggregate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMADOCTHOMAS

It's plausible I spoke too soon. I see utilization going up very slowly over time. Since I'm replicating two large volumes into the aggregate at the SAME time the moved volume is freeing up space in the aggregate, it may appear static on occasion, only improving in small increments. Starting to think that's what's going on but I'll continue to monitor.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TMADOCTHOMAS

It's plausible I spoke too soon. I see utilization going up very slowly over time. Since I'm replicating two large volumes into the aggregate at the SAME time the moved volume is freeing up space in the aggregate, it may appear static on occasion, only improving in small increments. Starting to think that's what's going on but I'll continue to monitor.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Indeed that was the case. Free space has now been increased on the aggregate by the appropriate amount after some time.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thanks for the tip @paul_stejskal ! I've not heard of wafl scan status before. I'll have to check that next time.

Public