ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP 9.1 and ACP

anoop-ba

Hi Folks,

Heard that with ONTAP 9.1, we no longer need ACP cabling and the SAS shelves can be managed inband. Is this specific to the shelves/ controller models being used? Do we have any documentation that backs it up? Any leads would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Anoop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
10 REPLIES 10

aborzenkov

Yes, it is specific to hardware, you need either new 12G shelves or IOM6 with sufficiently new firmware. AFAIR you cannot mix in- and out-of-band management which means that either all your shelves match in-band requirements or some shelves will be unmanaged. I do not have links to documentation handy, but I assume normal shelf installation guides should contain this information.

anoop-ba

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am unable to find this information in the installation guides. If you have some links to any docos, that would be great. I appreciate your response.

Cheers,

Anoop

River

Hi

I just got a FAS6290 with IOM3 shelf and FAS8080 with IOM6 shelf and FAS9000 with IOM12 shelf in the same cluster.

And indeed, I can not setup ACP by node at Ontap9.1.

Since I already in mixed cluster, I would like to know what is this means " some shelves will be unmanaged.".  

Because I can not configure ACP, I just disable it.  Is there any risk when acp was disabled at Ontap9.1?

River.

javierd

hello Tea,

I have problem with ACP configuration on AFF A300 with two stack IOM3 and IOM6. I should be con OOB, but the controllers remain with partial connectivity and the ACP port is down. The wiring is correct, but there is no way to switch to full connectivity.

ONTAP version is 9.2P4.

I I have made reseat of modules, halt of the controllers, I have rewired but nothing solves the problam, the port is still in down state.

OGill

You can't use In-Band ACP with IOM3 shelves (like DS4243).

Also check if you have the required firmware versions:

https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1029778

javierd

Thank you,

Effectively  in-band can not be configured, I configure out-band but it maintains partial connectivity. I have updated the IOM modules. ONTAP 9.2 may have a bag having OOB with IOM3 and IOM6 modules. I`m not sure.

Check and sysconfig -a reports that the ACP port is down.

slot 0: Internal 10/100/1000 Ethernet Controller
               e0P MAC Address: 00: a0: 98: 98: 28: df (auto-unknown-fd-down)

and the IOM3 ports do not report IP nor its FW.

Node: CLU-NAS-DR-02
        Module Name: 2.10.A
       Adapter Name: 4d
        MAC Address: 00: 50: cc: 73: 11: 42
           IOM Type: iom3
Shelf Serial Number: SHJ0000000063D0
         IP Address: 0.0.0.0
   Protocol Version: 0.0.00.00
   Firmware Version: 00.00
        Assigner ID: 0
              State: unknown
       Last Contact: 969

Node: CLU-NAS-DR-02
        Module Name: 2.10.B
       Adapter Name: 4d
        MAC Address: 00: 50: cc: 73: 11: 8e
           IOM Type: iom3
Shelf Serial Number: SHJ0000000063D0
         IP Address: 0.0.0.0
   Protocol Version: 0.0.00.00
   Firmware Version: 00.00
        Assigner ID: 0
              State: unknown
       Last Contact: 969

OGill

What's the output from the following:

set diag
storage shelf acp module show
run -node * -command acpadmin ibacp_list_all
run -node * -command acpadmin stats
run -node * -command options acp
ifconfig [look for ---- ACP IPSpace ----]

This could maybe help with troubleshooting.

But if you can't find anything and you've also done the usual stuff like controller-reboot, shelf-reseat, checked the cabling, checked if the firmware is the latest, ... then I would create a NetApp case.

If there is a bug you would need to update to ONTAP 9.3 since there will be no new P-release for ONTAP 9.2.

But if you have a new AFF A300 I would really suggest to update to either 9.3P8 or 9.4P2. Lately with every bigger ONTAP update there are some performance improvements for AFF systems.

Another thing: Have you rebooted the SPs manually?

service-processor reboot-sp -node *

Ok, wait a minute: According to the HWU IOM3 shelves are actually not supported with your AFF A300..........

So upgrade those shelf with IOM6 modules.

javierd

thank you @OGill

I will reboot the SP interface, step that I have not done yet.

All the other basic TS steps I have made. I have a FAS8040. Tomorrow I could be results.

Regards,

SYNTAXERROR

anoop-ba

It certainly is. Thanks. Appreciate your reply here.

Cheers,

Anoop

Public