ONTAP Discussions

Ontap 9.4 Simulator License Problems

willwmww

Hi,

So I've just recently installed the 9.4 simulator successfuly as a single node cluster.

I've also setup a vserver to evaulate cifs and nfs on it. However when I went to use NFS it didn't work.

I noticed the licenses given on the simulators downloads page, when loaded into the 9.4 simulator shows that they aren't licensed.

It seems to not be an issue in ontap9.3.

I also noticed that the license numbers for 9.3 and 9.4 simulator are the same. Would that have anything to do with the current issue of NFS not working?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Hi @willwmww - I have just had the opportunity to setup an instance of the 9.4 vsim - and I see the same behavior in the license window - it shows the licenses as un-used and un-licensed.

Just to check, I upgraded the vsim to 9.4P1 and still see that, so I think it is a cosmetic issue. I suspect what is happening to prevent data access is related to the default export policies for the volume - by default an export policy allowing none is set.

Navigate to Storage -> SVMs -> SVM Settings, then Export Policies and define the IP addresses that should be able to access the volume.

If it still doesn't work, you may have to connect to the CLI and modify the firewall policy on the data LIF to enable NFS traffic -  network interface modify -vserver svmname -lif nfslifname -firewall-policy mgmt-nfs

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

AlexDawson

Hi there,

Licenses are the same between 9.3 and 9.4, so is unlikely to be the cause.

Best option is to go into the SVM and start the NFS service and see what it says.

willwmww

Hi, thanks for replying

ok, so I tried the commands nfs start/stop/status/show and no error messages were printed out. Everything seems fine.

The oncommand gui also shows that nfs is enabled in the svm.

I've attached pictures of the ontap9.3 and 9.4 license page. Interestingly, all licenses on 9.4 show a green tick but when I click on them, all license show a cross in the licensed column on the bottomn details pane. 

Thanks

AlexDawson

Hi there,

I had hoped to lab this up myself to check but have not had time yet. Are you still having problems?

willwmww

Hi, thanks for replying

Yes, I'm still having the same problem.

I haven't been able to make any progress since last time.

Thanks

howard

I havn't even got to the license stage. I am using Workstation Pro 14, after creating cluster, it say "Starting cluster support services....."

Same behavior I found in Worksation 11, Player 14. This thing is unuseable...period.

End of story. Nothing happens.....cannot ping the IP either. Like this whole thing is dead in the water. 

This will be my 5th attempt to get this thing to install completly..just once.

What a fragile piece of software. 

To save my sanity, I am going to forget this whole disappointing ordeale unless there is some clear reason this is happening over and over again.

AlexDawson

@howard, I'm very sorry to hear that this didn't go smoothly for you any time you tried - I hadn't done it for 9.4, so I went through the whole setup process for an ONTAP 9.4 virtual simulator, on ESX however, not Workstation, and found that it worked fine (other than, as mentioned above, an NFS LIF ending up with a firewall policy that prevented NFS traffic).

Please feel free to message me with details of your company and contact email and phone number, and I'll get someone to contact you about arranging access to a demonstration environment.

SeanHatfield

I have seen that behaviour (gets lost during cluster setup) twice on Fusion but have not been able to replicate it in any controlled way.  I suspect host performance to be a factor as my system was under a pretty heavy load on at least one of those occurances. 

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

AlexDawson

Hi @willwmww - I have just had the opportunity to setup an instance of the 9.4 vsim - and I see the same behavior in the license window - it shows the licenses as un-used and un-licensed.

Just to check, I upgraded the vsim to 9.4P1 and still see that, so I think it is a cosmetic issue. I suspect what is happening to prevent data access is related to the default export policies for the volume - by default an export policy allowing none is set.

Navigate to Storage -> SVMs -> SVM Settings, then Export Policies and define the IP addresses that should be able to access the volume.

If it still doesn't work, you may have to connect to the CLI and modify the firewall policy on the data LIF to enable NFS traffic -  network interface modify -vserver svmname -lif nfslifname -firewall-policy mgmt-nfs

Hope this helps!

willwmww

Hi,

So as suggested I tried the cli command 'network interface modify ...etc.'

That solved the problem.

I didn't realise the portmapper firewall configurations were changed in ontap9.4

Thank you for your time.

AlexDawson

Neither did I, and it took me almost 45 minutes to work out what the problem was, if that makes you feel any better.

Rinku02Bansal

Hi Alex ,

we are also facing same issue with NFS, changed the firewall-policy still its not working. can you please check below discussion if anything wrong ?

https://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-ONTAP-Discussions/NFSShare-not-mounting-on-Vmware-Esx-for-Ontap-9-3-9-4/m-p/142243#M31540

Regards,

Rinku Bansal

Public