ONTAP Discussions

Overstepping the aggregat limit

igor

Hiya!

Just a short question regarding RAID group aggregation. I've a 2020A running on DOT 7.3.4 and I'd like to attach two 14x1TB shelves (11 data, 2 parity, 1 spare) to one of it's controllers... As I remember there's a 16TB aggregate limit here, and each shelf has 8591973352 kbytes net capacity (just over 8TB) making both shelves have more just a drop over the limit.

If I go ahead with this, will the system allow it? If it does, can I run into some problems later on perhaps?

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov

You can create aggregate with 19 1TB data disks which means 23 disks in total (2 RAID_DP RGs). I would not try to oversubscribe it, really … but it is interesting to know what happens ☺

AdvUniMD

Simple: you can't overstep it. It's a hard limit that has to do with 32 bit block access. 0xffffffff * 4096 bytes/block = 16TB.

If you try to add more disks, the system will give you an error message.

In your case I would create 2 aggregates with ~8.5tb each, however, I would stick with one spare disk. You don't really need one spare per shelf

-Michael

igor

Thanks for your input Michael,

I was hoping to avoid creating 2 aggregates but it can't be done. 🙂

As for that 1 spare, I dunno... Regardless of NetApp's optimistic predictions, I've learned that it does take a long to time to rebuild a fully loaded 1 TB SATA disk. And since double failure is not a myth, and usually has to resolved while handling normal daily workload, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable waiting for ?? hours for it to finish - hoping that something else might not go wrong during that time with the same RAID group. That's a LOT of data to be lost.

Pozdrav,

Igor

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public