ONTAP Discussions

Powershell NDU Invoke-NcClusterHaTakeover -AllowVersionMismatch not working as expected

nathane

When upgrading OnTap minor release versions (P1 -> P5), the following cmdlet works as expected:

Invoke-NcClusterHaTakeover -Controller $connectedController -Node $controllerBNode

When upgrading OnTap major release versions (9.2 -> 9.3), the following cmdlet produces the following error message:

Failed to initiate takeover. Reason: version mismatch. Note: If you are performing a Data ONTAP non-disruptive upgrade or downgrade, use the (privilege: advanced) 
"-option allow-version-mismatch" parameter. 

This is all well and good and so I add AllowVersionMismatch switch parameter as follows:

Invoke-NcClusterHaTakeover -Controller $connectedController -Node $controllerBNode -AllowVersionMismatch

But receive the same error message:

Failed to initiate takeover. Reason: version mismatch. Note: If you are performing a Data ONTAP non-disruptive upgrade or downgrade, use the (privilege: advanced) 
"-option allow-version-mismatch" parameter. 

I'm hoping it is obvious what I missing and/or how I elevate to "set -privilege advanced" from the Netapp Powershell CLI.  I have considered performing this takeover step with Invoke-NcSSH, but I am hoping there is a more elegant way and that I am just missing a step or something obvious.  (Invoke-NcSsh option mentioned here: https://community.netapp.com/t5/Software-Development-Kit-SDK-and-API-Discussions/Do-we-have-any-DataONTAP-powershell-toolkit-cmdlet-to-set-privilege-l...)

The parameter help talks about cleanly halting the node to be taken over but this doesn't quite make sense to me - is it a clue to someone else?  I am not familiar with proatively halting a node during a NDU:

-AllowVersionMismatch
        If specified, allow takeover if the partner was running an incompatible operating system version and was cleanly halted.  This option is used for non-disruptive upgrade (NDU).

Thanks in advance for your insight!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nathane

A quick follow-up to this issue. 

I finally have the zapi call workarounds in place to get around the broken cmdlets/broken support on ONTAP.  Included below are the various zapi blocks I have to workaround broken Invoke-NcSSH, and broken Invoke-NcClusterHATakeover cmdlets.

Disable AutoGiveback as suggested during an OnTAP NDU

$disableAutoGiveBackANodeApiCall = @"
                <cf-modify-iter>
                <query>
                <options-related-info-modify>
                <node>$controllerANode</node>
                </options-related-info-modify>
                </query>
                <attributes>
                <auto-giveback-enabled>false</auto-giveback-enabled>
                </attributes>
                </cf-modify-iter>
"@
Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $disableAutoGiveBackANodeApiCall -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null

$disableAutoGiveBackBNodeApiCall = @"
                <cf-modify-iter>
                <query>
                <node>$controllerBNode</node>
                </query>
                <attributes>
                </attributes>
                </cf-modify-iter>
"@

Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $disableAutoGiveBackBNodeApiCall -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null

Invoke Takeover during an NDU with version mismatch

$Request = @"
                <cf-takeover>
                <version-mismatch-ok>true</version-mismatch-ok>
                </cf-takeover>
"@
Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $Request -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null

Revert LIFs not at home after an NDU

ForEach ( $vServer in $vServers ) {

$lifsNotHome = Get-NcNetInterface -Controller $connectedController -Vserver $vServer.Vserver | Where-Object { $_.IsHome -eq $FALSE } | Select-Object -ExpandProperty InterfaceName

ForEach ( $lif in $lifsNotHome ) {

$revertLifApiCall = @"
                    <net-interface-revert>
                    <vserver>$($vServer.Vserver)</vserver>
                    <interface-name>$lif</interface-name>
                    </net-interface-revert>
"@
                try {
                    if ( $vServer.VserverType -like "admin" ) {
                        Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $revertLifApiCall -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Out-Null
                    }
                    else {
                        Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $revertLifApiCall -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null
                    }
                }
                catch {
                    Write-Warning "$controller`: LIF revert was not successful"
                }
            }
        }

I hope this helps out my fellow Netapp wrangers.

Best

n

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mbeattie

Hi,

Did you try using "Invoke-NcSystemApi" using the "cf-failover" ZAPI?

Alternately you could use Invoke-NcSsh and pass mulitple commands using ampersand...EG:

[String]$command = "set -privilege advanced`;storage failover takeover -ofnode cluster1-02"
Try{
   Invoke-NcSsh -Command $command -Credential $credentials -ErrorAction Stop
   Write-Host "Executed Command`: $command"
}Catch{
   Write-Warning -Message $("Failed Executing Command`: $command. Error " + $_.Exception.Message)
   Break;
}

Whilst that might be a workaround it's not really a solution and it does sound like a bug to me. I'll raise the issue with our developers for you. Thanks

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

nathane

Thanks for the quick reply Matt!

I should have mentioned in the first place I was using the Powershell Toolkit 4.3 and the issue was previously present in 4.0 -- I will see if 4.5 fixes the issue and report back when our next set of controllers comes up for upgrades (it will be a few weeks).

I'm not terribly familiar with the ZAPI but I came up with the following block - I won't be able to test on an HA cluster for a few weeks:

$Request = @"
<cf-takeover>
</cf-takeover>
"@
Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $Request

Does that look reasonable?

Unfortunately, Invoke-NcSsh isn't the best solution at the moment as it appears cDot 9.3 may affected by the same bug as 7mode 8.2.5 as discussed here here: http://community.netapp.com/t5/Microsoft-Cloud-and-Virtualization-Discussions/Invoke-NaSsh-not-working-anymore-with-DOT-8-2-5-7-mode/m-p/135824/highli...

(I replied to the Netapp empoyee mentioning the bug about this detail in case the bug should be expanded to include cDot - I upgraded to PSTK 4.5 and the issue persists)

The upgrade script we built uses Invoke-Ssh at the start and end to invoke autosupport and disable autogiveback.  Immediately after upgrading to 9.3, Invoke-NcSsh started returning:

Invoke-NcSsh : An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Best

n

nathane

A quick follow-up to this issue. 

I finally have the zapi call workarounds in place to get around the broken cmdlets/broken support on ONTAP.  Included below are the various zapi blocks I have to workaround broken Invoke-NcSSH, and broken Invoke-NcClusterHATakeover cmdlets.

Disable AutoGiveback as suggested during an OnTAP NDU

$disableAutoGiveBackANodeApiCall = @"
                <cf-modify-iter>
                <query>
                <node>$controllerANode</node>
                </query>
                <attributes>
                </attributes>
                </cf-modify-iter>
"@
Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $disableAutoGiveBackANodeApiCall -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null

$disableAutoGiveBackBNodeApiCall = @"
                <cf-modify-iter>
                <query>
                </query>
                <attributes>
                </attributes>
                </cf-modify-iter>
"@

Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $disableAutoGiveBackBNodeApiCall -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null

Invoke Takeover during an NDU with version mismatch

$Request = @"
                <cf-takeover>
                </cf-takeover>
"@
Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $Request -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null

Revert LIFs not at home after an NDU

ForEach ( $vServer in $vServers ) {

$lifsNotHome = Get-NcNetInterface -Controller $connectedController -Vserver $vServer.Vserver | Where-Object { $_.IsHome -eq $FALSE } | Select-Object -ExpandProperty InterfaceName

ForEach ( $lif in $lifsNotHome ) {

$revertLifApiCall = @"
                    <net-interface-revert>
                    <vserver>$($vServer.Vserver)</vserver>
                    <interface-name>$lif</interface-name>
                    </net-interface-revert>
"@
                try {
                    if ( $vServer.VserverType -like "admin" ) {
                        Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $revertLifApiCall -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Out-Null
                    }
                    else {
                        Invoke-NcSystemApi -Controller $connectedController -Request $revertLifApiCall -ErrorAction Stop | Out-Null
                    }
                }
                catch {
                    Write-Warning "$controller`: LIF revert was not successful"
                }
            }
        }

I hope this helps out my fellow Netapp wrangers.

Best

n

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public